Chapter XLIX

Saturday had come, the great hall of the palace in the Kingdom of Gold was decorated accordingly to the corronation of Prince Roman. The royalty of the other three kingdoms had been invited along with citizens from all over the country. Roman was in his room getting ready, his father had instructed the servants to dress him in the finest robes, Roman didn't care what he was wearing for once in his life, all he could think about was the fact that the man he loved with all his heart was finally going to be free of the man who has tourtured him for years! Guests were starting to arrive and taking their seats, for once Roman was getting rather nervous. He was about to do something that would defy all the laws the previous rulers had set, he was about to go against his fathers wishes, but he didn't care. The servants had finished dressing him, white and red robes trimmed with gold, signature for his kingdom. It was time. Roman headed down the stairs and stood in the hall way and waited, he could feel his heart hammering in his chest as he waited for his cue. Then that time finally came. Royal guards opened the doors and he walked through, he looked around him at the hundreds of guests in the room, ladies dressed in elegant dresses and the men dressed in formal tuxes. Roman walked up to his father who was standing in front of his throne, along with his mother who was sitting in her throne and his brother who was standing to the side. His father gave him a proud smile as Roman turned around to face the crowd of people. He saw Ashley sitting next to Jayden and next to Jayden was Iris, and then his eyes fell upon Virgil, he was wearing a black tux with a purple shirt, exactly like the one he had worn on the night of the ball, the night they had met, and the night Roman had fallen in love. King Aron, however, wasn't there. "We are here today to celebrate my son, Prince Roman, who has finally accepted the role of becoming this kingdoms new king." his father said to the room, he took the golden crown off his head and placed it on top of Romans. He took a step back leaving Roman standing alone, the room burst into applause as the new king smiled. Queen Luryn, King Colton and Prince Remus all got up and stepped down from the thrones and off to the side, Roman knew he was supposed to make a speech. This was it, he was doing this. "Hello everyone." he said in a confident voice, "As you all should know, the new generation of kings and queens will meet up to discuss the new laws, for us, that happened a few weeks ago. Now, all the new laws will be published for all to read in a few days, but there is one law i want to discuss now." Roman paused looking around the room, "Gay marriage is now legal." he said. There was silence for a few seconds before the entire room burst into cheers, Roman watched as many couples hugged or even kissed each other, right in the front row he spotted Jayden and Iris almost falling over locked in a kiss, he was even surprised to see Prince Logan kiss a blushing Prince Patton on the cheek. He couldn't help but smile at the sight of so many people happy at the decision from the new generation. But what really made him happy was the smile Virgil had on his face, the smile Roman had seen so many times but had never gotten over, they locked eyes and Roman could feel the blush on his cheeks. Once the room had quietened down he continued, "There is something else too, at the last ball we held which was for me to find a queen, I said I'd be announcing who I had chosen at the next big event." his eyes darted to Virgil for a second and he could see that smile had gone, it was more of a look of nervousness, "Well I have chosen, and in addition to the new law, I haven't chosen a queen." he could feel the silence in the room, he turned to face Virgil and held out his hand, "Virgil, could you come up here for a minute?" Virgil hesitantly got up and room Romans hand, he could feel the eyes of every person in the room on him. Roman held Virgil's hands and looked into his eyes, "Virgil, to me you are like the sun because you light up my day. You are what gets me out of bed in the morning." Roman could see he was doing pretty well from the blush on Virgil's face. "Seeing your face makes me feel like I've got a chance in this dark and lonely world, the world I thought I had lost all hope for, and when I thought I had it the worst, I met you." he could see the tears forming in Virgil's eyes and felt the tears forming in his own. "You were striving for a reason to be here! The world turned it's back on you and made your life horrible. I was selfish for thinking I had it bad, It's you." Virgil looked to the floor as tears rolled down his cheeks, Roman put his hand under Virgil's chin and lifted his head to look directly into his eyes. "But I want to fix that, I want to make everyday of the rest of your life worth living for, I want to make myself the reason you're here today, because you're the reason I am." Roman got down on one knee and pulled out a little black box he had in his pocket, he opened it and inside was a silver ring with a purple amethyst in the middle, "Virgil, will you marry me?" Virgil stood speechless as tears rolled down his cheeks, he then dropped to his knees and pulled Roman into a tight hug, "Yes, you idiot!" he cried as he buried his face into romans shoulder, the entire room stood and cheered as Roman held Virgil in a tight embrace, they broke apart so Roman could put the ring onto Virgil's finger, "How did you get my ring size?" Virgil asked with a laugh, "Your sister is quite useful." Roman said with a smirk, he stood up and helped Virgil to his feet, the room kept cheering and Roman pulled Virgil into another embrace but this time to tell him something without the crowd knowing, "I know what happened." he wispered in Virgil's ear, "I saw it happen." he could feel as Virgil tensed up, "I will never let that happen again, come live here, away from him." Roman could feel Virgil's disjointed breath on his neck, he dropped his head into Romans shoulder, "Okay." he whispered.