22

Court? Isn't that too deep and serious?

It's like dating someone with the intention of marrying them. Commitment is always related to courtship, right? — it's the act of being dedicated. — Dedicated in a sense that: coherence in its interest is superior. It's a big word and I'm not sure how I feel about it.

"WOOOOOHHHHHH, never thought that Snow would have a girlfriend!", Alexa cheered.

"Yeah, never thought that I would meet someone like her.", Marco said as she gave me soft glances.

They were all so happy but I somehow felt different. I'm no longer connected with them and I feel so out of place; They were like a puzzle and my piece cannot fit in. I tried my hardest to be in their conversation — to atleast be with the flow but it was all useless.

"So can I court you?", with the click of a question, I came back to my senses.

The atmosphere was so tense — it pressured me. Both Keran and Alexa were joyful; wide smiles and a glimpse of hope on their precious faces. I can't let them down and I can't force myself either.

"Sooooo?", Keran uttered.

I don't know.

"She's taking so long because she's definitely filled with excitement.", Alexa teased that had made Marco blushed, cherry cheeks and glowing eyes.

How can I say no?
How can I let them down?
How can I hurt someone like Lin fan?

"Marco likes you Snow — to an extent that her vacation became a long stay here in the U.S, even I: was forced to fly here and accompany her.", Keran said.

"Can I court you Ms. Snow Rivas?", Marco asked for the third time.

For a moment, I was the center of interest. The spotlight had found my weakest point. Each of them was focused and are patiently waiting for my answer. I was in the verge of saying the word 'No' — but I just couldn't profess it.

Why do I feel like this was some kind of responsibility that I have to comply? — why.

I took a deep breath before I answered Marco.

"Ofcourse", I faked a smile and everyone broke into happiness. The three of them were so happy that I could've sworn, I saw Marco in tears; perhaps tears of joy.

"Thank you for giving me this chance. I promise! I'll prove myself to you.", Marco cried in full gratitude.

I'm profoundly speechless and all I could do was to fake another smile for them. This is not what my heart wants — this is not where I supposed to be.

This is all a huge mistake — what am I even thinking?

My phone vibrated from my pocket: a notification had popped up on my screen.

• I think u forgot to return my coat and jacket lol

It was Liu Yuxin; I didn't forgot about it. For some unknown reasons, I'd love to keep it for myself. I want to have something that reminds me of her.

• yeah, don't worry. I'll give it back on Monday

'would I see her on school? — Monday is the continuation of classes. The event was supposed to end tomorrow evening and by next week, everything will be back to normal.

I was all caught up in my head that I'd forgotten the people around me. They're still having a nice chat; Marco and Alexa being funny while Keran was uncontrollably laughing out loud. The scene had stopped when Marco's phone rang.

"Oh it's Xin, excuse me for a minute.", she excused herself and made her way out of the kitchen.

Xin

Her name gives hope of happiness. I'm stuck in a situation that I'd accepted for myself. Torn between the joy of someone else and not considering the further consequences of my action.

Little by little, I'm starting to understand myself.