chapter5

The day was illuminated with a special cold. the area was like an unfinished art of an artist, the trees to be the first and last dark lines onto the white empty canvas, with the white snow layer thickly covering almost every corner of the village. a colder wind came along forcing everyone to stay inside in the warmth of their wooden house. hence for the slaves had to work, they had used thick coats to save themselves from freezing.

by the time she got to her working place the harsh wind turned into a zephyr, that would whisper gently along the empty road. she kept her hands warm by blowing her breathe over them, and her long braided hair uncovered her ears letting them shine out red.

the small eatery that was familiar to her has stood out the most among others in the market place. she smiled softly, before wrapping the black cloth over her mouth and nose. finding the owner from far she approached her bowing in respect "good morning ahjuma"

despite her smile being hidden, the older lady could widely imagine her gums through the way her cheeks squeezed up, showing the two different shaped catty eyes of hers. "ya~, you finally came? go ahead we have so much to do" she bowed once more following the whiny woman inside with a smile.

the internal structure was prettier, than the outside of the wooden portal. along with the chef's place, there was a small open area with a few benches around so people enjoy their meal out in summer heat, but also there were few chambers to warm them up when winter takes place. for a girl who had a dark past people feared to confront, jennie worked as a cleaner wearing a mask as required by her master herself. it was hard to get a job for living, and if her face was a barrier she didn't mind to cover it all day.

after cleaning the chambers, and the pathway for people. the door was opened by the old lady, and people would visit from here and there happily. the eatery wasn't the best for food, but those who couldn't afford much better ones were able to eat there. greeting with the chef, and his daughter who was a servant, jennie excused herself to the well, where they would wash dishes.

she sat by the warm water of the well, and started to wash whatever plate the servant girl would bring to her. if not for nature to keep the underground water warm, her hands would of have been cut off way before, hence she found herself lucky to live this way.

after long minutes of sitting there doing nothing. she grew curious why there wasn't anymore plates to be washed. a voice startled her coming from the people who gathered around. she skipped towards the center secretly only to find the customers out of their chambers complaining about the delay of their food 'what's happening?!'

she ran behind the rooms, where the ahjuma had a place for herself to count money, after each person finishes their food. to her surprise the woman was sat on the floor hitting her head on repeat complaining about something in her life in low whine.. "a-ahjuma!" she called in worry, before running inside.

"uh! aigoo you scared me" she placed her wrinkled hand on her collarbone keeping up with her heartbeat that went astray. jennie felt guilty, and severely bowed in apology biting on her lip.

"a-ahjuma! why the customers are out? where is-" but when the woman spoke in between her's, she darted her eyes back on her. "we're ruined. chef and his daughter has left to his wife who lost a child giving birth. he couldn't make food for the people" she kept hitting her head harshly for her unfortunate luck.

Jennie crouched down to her, stopping the older from harming herself further, "would you let me do it?" as she spoke out, the older looked at her mistrustfully. "what can you do other than cleaning? if they know they will stop coming here"