chapter9

There was silence taking over him as he stood straight head up blank. while for each voidness there is a dream, he could only hear his own steady breathe coming out in constant pattern. there was nothing for him to feel, thus he stood trying to figure out what did his heart want.

there was the little mound in front of him, where his master was set beneath. without uttering a word he had spoken so many oath through his stern eyes. it's been two days since the last time he visited alongside his granddaughter. he felt in need to come again, and discuss what happened in his absence.

"she really gave up" he spoke out under his breathe. a small smirk cracked it's way onto his moisten lips within the thought of it. it was surprising, because for the things he knew she was willful child.

"maybe she changed after you're gone. she doesn't resist any help from me ever since" he remarked looking down at his hands, where he held a small familiar wooden box. "maybe i won't be using this anytime soon" he declared opening it for a simple glance, and just then the purple hue shone against his white clear skin.

the intensity of the fist sized source of light was too bright that his eyes closed unable to endure more of it. inside the darkness of his eyes colored spots flashed around. the box creaked as he closed it once again, before putting it back into the pocket of his baggy hanbok pants.

"it's time for me to leave grandfather, however; i promise to return with better news soon" he got on his knees, and lowered his head to the ground gradually. he did a three full body bow in respect to the other, before standing back straight.

"please do not be worried about her. rest in peace master-nim" he muttered with a last head nod taking three steps back, before turning to leave for good. despite the emptiness of the gloomy night. he felt in need to look over his shoulder one last time at his grave, as if something was calling for him to return. but eventually gave up and walked towards his new home alone.

he felt at ease then after he talked the needed things out. seeing the hanok house from far on the hill his steps lessened, until he held to a complete stop. his hands clasped behind his back, and eyes witnessed the story of it's silent walls. he didn't know the purpose of it, but soon forced a smile onto his lips approaching it merrily.

the darkness of the night has hugged the village tight, never letting go unless it was the awaited dawn. the lanterns were turned off but the candles in her room. he smiled to it, before making his way towards the last chamber that was prepared for his presence.

he crouched down in the single room putting the little box inside the medium sized container with padlock. he felt in need to keep it secured, and away from being seen. thus he kept the key attached to a string hanging around his neck.

he lastly sat hisself on the soft mute-colored boryo in his residence, he didn't feel in need to sleep yet. before diving into his thoughts the broken pieces placed on the desk in front of him demanded his attention.

just by brushing his fingers over the sharp sides, he was able to recall each word jennie muttered the day after Hwanjoon's death. when she was collecting the pieces crying, cursing at them for breaking his memories. she was angry at them for disrespecting what belonged to him, and what was telling about him. the girl was weak then, and collapsed in his embrace for too much things to take. forgetting about the broken lunch box quickly, when she woke up in a bitter feeling of preparing for his funeral. but he didn't.

he now had all the pieces in front of him, but yet didn't know for what reason. he started to put them back in order to gift her something for her braveness. even though it was difficult for him, due some pieces being missing leaving small holes around it's boxy shape. but that didn't stop him from doing his best.