19

Claire

Weeks passed by and the festival was nearing.

We practiced real hard this time. Hyunjin was shining as ever as if everyone will get blinded by his light. Dramatic but I'm stating facts. I don't even want to look at him in his white and gold prince costume. It was too painful for the eyes.

I wasn't overwhelmed by them anymore. I was not awkward with them. I learned to groove with them while they do their mini missions every week.

"I'm sorry Claire." Jeongin sounded sad because he had to go to Busan for a solo mission and quick home visit. He'll be gone for a week. I got the other guys around so it won't hurt being separated from him for awhile.

"I'll be fine. You go accomplish your task." I smiled as I punched his shoulder. He winced but gave me a smile in return. I dropped him off his swimming practices that time.

I sighed tiredly as I dropped my head while reading some text books for next weeks tests. "I wanna give up.." I whined. Being a teacher isn't easy and why am I taking this path?

A random kid placed a plastic box beside my stuff and ran off. "Hey!" Before I could even see its face, it disappeared into air. I glanced at the box, it was filled with the same looking cookies from past month. There was even a note. "Chan didn't have to-"

Wait this isn't Chan's handwriting.

"Hyunjin?" It did looked familiar but it's just crappy writing.

'You can do it! Study hard!' in pink ink.

Well, it did motivate me. Thanks Hyunjin.

The following days, I got the some weird goodies from the guys. It was Seungmin this time and his crappy handwriting with the saying, 'We're better than Jeongin so cheer up!' in blue ink.

"Thanks for the weird compliment?" I chuckled at the note as I ate another batch of cookies during my break at school. Sometimes, I don't get a note but a sticker instead on my plastic boxes of butter scotch cookies. What I love about it, it's fresh from the oven.

'Smile please! You look good today!'

'We're counting on you so do well in your quizzes and be the best teacher that you can be!'

'Enjoy your practices and smile as always!'

"I'm short." I bit my lip as I checked my wallet. I won't be having lunch today, I guess. Seungmin heard me and passed me his ramen to me.

"No! It's yours!" I don't want his lunch, it looked hella expensive. "Nah, you can have it." He was nice to give me his chopsticks too. "Seungmin-"

"I insist, Claire." He smiled creepily. I nodded and took the bowl. What a weird vibe from him. It was only me and him this lunch since Hyunjin was called by Jungkook for extra instructions. "I'm full so eat up." Seungmin then resumed his assignments while I eat.

"This stuff is something." I picked out a tiny heart shaped bread from the center.

"I didn't know the boring lunch lady made this type of food.."

"She doesn't, I just have a friend who cooks." He answers. "The friend just gave me ramen when I'm on a diet and I just ate my portion earlier than lunch."

"It's really delicious, Seungmin. Your friend must be a god in cooking." The flavors just pop on my tongue, god-like taste.

[A/n: Listen to GO LIVE album, Ta is my favorite tho]

"Glad, you like it. I'll tell him." He looked satisfied with my reaction. I want more of this type of stuff. It was so addicting.

The last day of the week—Friday, I decided to find that friend without Seungmin's help. He might end up not telling me who is the person since he wasn't really open about his name when I asked.

I had vacant periods mostly on Fridays so it's the best time.

After my last subject, I rushed to the west and looked for the student culinary laboratories. I hid behind the huge wall between the bulletin board and the entrance to the first laboratory. I saw culinary students and chef club members going in and out the lab.

I realized that Seungmin never said if he was a culinary student or a club member. Smart.

"Well, it's worth the try." I reminded myself that I just want to see what he looks like. I walked near the door casually while some of  the students/ club members are leaving the lab. I even saw few of my friends in one of my minors getting out. I greeted them before I looked into the room.

"Just get inside." One of my friends from my Spanish class said. "The seniors won't mind." Mina winked at me before walking with some guy named Mark (?)

I took her advice and got inside unnoticed. Well, few recognized my face since I'm Chan's sister and Chan is pretty popular among the seniors and juniors of the campus. I just shyly greeted them before checking the second laboratory since the labs were connected.

I recognized a familiar scent of fresh baked cookies. It was butter scotch and chocolate chip. The scent marked me since I kept on receiving it for 4 days straight. I walked inside and there no people around. It was the opposite of the bustling first laboratory. Seniors were experimenting with some plain meals.

There were few cookies on the tray, fresh out of the oven. I couldn't see one person behind this metal rack of pans. It was blocking my view of the person.

I heard a pen dropped. He grunted suddenly as the pen rolled to my direction. "Why is copying a handwriting so hard.." He trailed off as he saw my feet.

"This is chef's club room.." He sounded so stern as he picked up the pen and rose up to face me. I froze at the person who is in front of me. His expression was even more questionable as if he got caught with a bad crime.

I peeked behind him, there was the exact plastic box with cookies and pieces of paper scattered around on the marble counter. I looked into the papers and it looked all the same, the same note written again and again. "Felix?" I started walking towards his spot but he stopped me from going.

"Claire I-"

"Are you the one who kept sending me cookies?"

He got silent as he gripped on my arm.

update: thanks for commenting about a certain edit here! i didnt know back then and im glad i reread the book