𝐈

DEJAH

"I don't know, but I'm gone stop by at my mom's right now. She said she got a 'surprise' for us." I walked to the car and one of my friends from school, Kayla followed me as well. We had known each other since the 10th grade, and we had been real tight ever since. She and I had just gotten out of our college classes for the day, and I had to go over at my moms for a surprise.

"I bet she gone make you work extra shifts at the hospital." Kayla laughed and I shrugged. "No problem with me, I just can't stand the smell." I gagged. I was technically a nurse in training, but I really wanted to become an RN. My mom was a doctor at the local hospital, so I basically had a free pass.

It wasn't like I HAD to follow in her footsteps or anything, because some parents actually forced their kids to do shit like that, which wasn't right. I loved working in the hospital—well I didn't quite do anything TOO serious—I would just stand at the front desk and help the clients or go into patient's rooms and check up on them, but I was satisfied with that.

I waved goodbye to Kayla and drove a good drive to where my mother lived. She lived with my younger, 14-year-old sister, Italy. That girl was a brat and everything in between. I stepped out the car, clutching on my bag. I knocked on the front door and Italy opened the door.

"Don't momma tell you not to open the door?" I playfully pushed her as I walked in. "Girl I'm grown. And plus, I had already seen you pull up in the driveway." Italy shrugged. She had airpods in her ears, and her phone in her hand. "Where's mom?" I looked around the house. It was way too quiet. "She in the kitchen." "What's the surprise?" I whispered. "I have no idea." Italy said flatly and sat on the living room sofa.

I hanged my bag on the hanger by the front door and walked into the kitchen seeing my mother. "Hey, mommy." I waved and she glanced at me. "Baby, I missed you." She hugged me and I did the same. "Mom, relax. You see me on tuesday." I chuckled and sat on one of the high chairs in front of the island.

"That don't mean nothing. I even be missing you and Italy when I go to work." She held her chest and I nodded. She was very overprotective and crazy about us, because we were all we had.

When I turned 16, exactly two weeks after my birthday, my dad got terribly sick and the doctors said he was diagnosed with some type of cancer. He didn't make it. At the time, my mom was just like me. She was training to be a nurse. My dad dying didn't make her weaker, it made her stronger. And I really like that about her because some mothers or even widow parents, when something terrible would happen to their loved ones, they would start doing all sorts of kinds of things.

Like drinking, drugs, which would lead to overdose, and even saying some type of shit they didn't mean to say. I'm glad she didn't sit on her ass and let shit be. No, she worked for it and look where we were know. As for me, I lived in my apartment, but this would always be my first home. We didn't communicate with family, which didn't phase me. All that mattered was that we had each other.

Sometimes I would cry thinking about what could happen and what I would do if I lost another loved one. My world would go crazy if I lost my mother, or worse, Italy. I mean she could be a pain in the ass, but I definitely didn't play about her.

"So, what's the 'surprise'?" I turned my seat around and glanced at Italy.

"Green flags in matte black Range Rovers and green FN's, I ain't them dudes, you gone pope who? Oh you should try that." She rapped walking around the living room. "Girl, lower your voice." I yelled so she could hear me.

"Looking for me? Come see me in the back cause I ain't hiding." Her head popped up and she gave me an eye-roll. I turned my gaze back on mom. "She always rapping so loudly like she at a damn concert or sum." My mom chuckled. "You know how she is."