49. THE ONE

| CHAPTER FORTY-NINE |

THE ONE.

THE LAST FEW DAYS, REMUS had gotten used to waking up in the same room as Cassiopeia. Of course, the door had to be open and he had to sleep on the floor, but every night she would convince him to join her. Waking up to her still sleeping peacefully besides him was the highlight of any break he ever had. Even as the full moon neared, the sight made him feel more relaxed, and not to mention, happier. 

So, when he woke up and the black haired girl wasn't anywhere close by he was certainly puzzled. He couldn't hear the shower next room over, so, with a confused feeling in his chest he finally pushed the duvet off of his body. 

His hand almost instinctively reached up to mess his sandy-brown hair as he exited his room, walking down the creaky steps. When he reached the bottom floor he could hear laughter and chattering coming from the kitchen, so that's where he headed. 

Remus stopped in the door threshold as a genuine smile suddenly appeared on his face. There, in the kitchen, was his mum and Cassiopeia. The two females were talking to one another whilst preparing breakfast, as the radio played quietly in the background.

He was so engrossed in the scene before him, he didn't even hear his father's footsteps until the man was standing right besides him, also smiling as he watched the pair. 

It took everything in Remus' power to finally look away, and when he did, he let his eyes fall onto his father, a slight dazed look in his eyes, "I think she's the one," The werewolf breathed out. He had thought that Cassiopeia Black was the one for a while now, but what he witnessed that morning seemed to seal the deal with him.

Lyall smiled warmly at his son. He reached over and pressed his large hand against Remus' shoulder, giving it a light squeeze, "It certainly looks that way from here, my boy."

-

THE TERM BREAK SEEMED TO fly by. Cass even helped him with his transition during the full moon just a few days before they were set to return back to school. Remus had tried everything he could to keep the girl out of it, tried to get her to go round to James' for the night, but her stubbornness was worse than his. 

Normally, Cassiopeia couldn't wait to get back to Hogwarts, however, this time she was kind of dreading it. She had gotten so used to waking up besides Remus. The feeling of his arms wrapped tightly around her waist as her back pressed into his chest. It was always warmer, and felt much safer. She wouldn't admit it to anyone, but the time she spend at Remus' was the first time that she managed to sleep well, and it was something she was going to miss.

So, when the last day of the break arrived, the two teenagers tried to make the best of it by practically staying super glued to one another's side for the entirety of the day. They re-visited the lake for a few hours before going back home to spend the last of their alone-time together. 

"You've got to come back for Christmas, Cassiopeia," Hope Lupin gushed over the girl as the two females walked side by side through Platform nine and three quarters, with Remus and Lyall following close behind, muttering something to one another.

"Oh, I don't want to intrude," Cass politely declined. She had loved her time with the Lupins, but she also didn't want to be a burden that they now had to take care of, especially with Hope still feeling under the weather.

"Don't be silly," Hope pressed her hand against Cass' arm, a genuine smile on her tired face, "You're not a burden. I can promise you that. So, will you come?"

Before the black haired girl had time to answer, she bumped into a tall figure, "I'm so sorry," She quickly apologised, "I wasn't looking where I was..." She felt her eyes glance up, "...going," Cass added with a gulp. Standing right there in front of her was Orion Black, Walburga and Regulus a little bit behind him.

Orion's face stayed as angry as it was from when she had bumped into him, fire blazing in his grey eyes as he took note of the family that stood just behind the Slytherin girl, "So, you were spending your break with blood-traitors and half-breeds?"

Cassiopeia visibly flinched at the words. 

"What on earth were you thinking, girl?"

Cass didn't answer. Her eyes found Regulus as he sent her a saddened smile, one that disappeared when Walburga suddenly stood in front of her son, "No! Don't you dare look at him like that, you filthy blood-traitor!" The woman practically screeched, causing a few families to turn around and gawk, "I hope you know that you're not welcome back at home," The woman sneered, "You hear me? And you stay far away from Regulus."

"Mother," Sirius' voice suddenly cut through the tension. It turned out that one of the families that noticed the scene were the Potters. Sirius didn't waste any time in rushing over to his sister.

"It's Walburga to you," The woman spat hatefully, "Now you two have something to bond over," She sneered, looking amused and angry as her eyes flickered between the two sixteen year olds before her eyes finally landed on the black haired girl, "Don't you dare come back home," And with that, the woman seized Regulus' arm and stormed off, pulling the fifteen year old boy behind her as he looked over his shoulder, his eyes filled with sadness when they landed on his sister.

"Don't you all have your own boring lives to go to?" Sirius' voice was angry as it echoed through the platform. It caused everyone that was looking to quickly deter their attention away from the blue eyed girl. 

"Thanks," Cassiopeia muttered, feeling uncomfortable under all the attention. She was about to open her mouth again when a hand clasped itself around her shoulder. 

Looking up her eyes landed on Hope Lupin as the woman smiled sadly at the teenager, "You're going to stay with us, Cassiopeia. Okay?"

Cassiopeia didn't want to intrude. Not only was she suppose to go round there for Christmas, but now she was suppose to just move in and disturb their lives? She was about to decline politely when Sirius stepped forwards, "She will, thank you."

Cass' eyes widened, it was then that she realised they were filled with unshed tears. She stared at Sirius with a look of disbelief, "I--I-I can't," She shook her head, refusing to make eye contact with anyone, "Thank you for-for the offer, but I really can't," And with that, she grabbed her suitcase and rush away, pushing through the crowd.