𝐃𝐎𝐍'𝐓 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋𝐒

Fandom: Stranger Things AU
Pairing: Byler (Brother!Johnathan x Brother! Will)
Prompts: "Is he really just a friend?" + "I can't think straight when I'm around you - don't you dare make that joke."
Warnings: fluff, awkward Will,
Word count: 941

"Warnings: fluff, awkward Will,Word count: 941

WILL BYERS knew the truth. We didn't like girls. Not the same way other boys did. Instead, the young brunet boy liked the boys. He really didn't know how to process this new attraction to the same sex especially when he found himself falling for one certain dark-haired boy.

Mike Wheeler.

His best friend. His best friend who Will was pretty certain was straight and fully attracted to their odd friend, Eleven.

But love is love, and Will couldn't help but like Mike. No one knew about Will's 'secret'. Not until his brother, Johnathan, noticed his odd behaviour around Mike.

Johnathan knocked on Will's door, creaking the door open slightly after a faint call of 'come in' came through the wood. On his bed sat Will mindlessly drawing another doodle of his D&D character. "Hey, kid. You doing ok?"

Will looked up from his sketchbook and smiled at his older brother. "Yeah, I'm ok. You?"

Johnathan hummed and nodded, moving to take a seat on the edge of his bed. "Yeah, yeah. I just wanted to know if you and Mike were ok?"

Will gulped, moving his drawing and pencils from his crossed legs to give Johnathan his full attention. "Why- Why do you ask that?"

The taller Byers son furrowed his brows and tilted his head. "Well, I've noticed that you've been avoiding him recently."

"Have I?" Will cluelessly asked. He knew he was avoiding Mike. He was very aware of what he was doing. If Will was around Mike any longer, he would fall in love with him. And because Will was still confused about his feelings and Mike in general, he didn't want that. Yet.

"Yes, and I think we both know it," Johnathan spoke matter-of-factly. "C'mon, Will, you can tell me anything."

Will took a deep breath, not wanting to you admit his feelings about his best friend. "We're friends."

Johnathan wasn't convinced. Will avoiding eye contact and quiet behaviour was getting the older Byers brother curious. "Is he really just a friend?"

A blush fanned over Will's face. Johnathan knew - Will thought. It was either deny it and continue to live a lie, or admit it and face the consequences. It's now or never. "I like Mike."

"Well, I'd hope so. You're best fr-"

Will shook his head frantically. "No, no, no, no, no. I think I like like Mike."

"Oh. Ohhh," Johnathan wanted to say he was surprised, but something in him already knew. "Ok, that's ok, Will."

"Is it?" Will whispered, his fingers fiddling with the hem of his blue short-shorts.

Johnathan noticed Will's quiet voice and immediately shuffles on his bed so he is sat next to him and his arm over his shoulder, comfortingly. "Of course it is kiddo. Does Mike know?" Will shook his head. "Do you plan on telling him?"

"No! God, no!" Will declared suddenly. "That would be too embarrassing. He clearly likes El. I just don't want to get rejected," he sighed out.

Johnathan nodded. "Well, you'll never know if you don't try."

--------

It was now or never.

Will was outside of Mike's house, his hand hovering over the doorbell. His mind was whirring with all of the consequences of what he was about to do. Mike could laugh at him. Mike could disown him from the Party. Mike could tell everyone that he's gay. Mike could accept him. mike could love him. No. He won't, Will. Quit being hopeful. Will thought. Now or never - better off with never, Will mused sadly.

Before Will could turn away or ring the doorbell, the door swung open and Mike Wheeler crashed into Will. Both stumbled until Mike caught Will's arm, stabilising him before he would fall to the ground. "Will? What are you doing here?"

Will began to stutter and fumble like the mess he was. "Oh, uh, nothing. Well, actually, I- Oh God, I can't think straight when I'm around you," Mike chuckled quietly at his wording. "Don't you dare make that joke," Will laughed softly, his heart clenching the slightest at the irony.

"What's up, buddy?" Mike smiled, hiding his chuckle behind his smile. "I was just gonna come over to yours and thought we could hang out with the guys."

A gulp formed in Will's throat. "Well, I wondered if we, uh, we could just, just, um, hang out alone - together, I mean?"

Mike grinned at Will's awkward behaviour. He gestured Will inside his house, his welcoming smile easing Will's thought immediately. "Yeah, I'd like that. A lot."

Now or never, Will.

"Mike, wait," Will spoke before he walked inside the Wheeler residence. "I - I need to tell you something first."

Mike nodded. "Sure, shoot."

Breathe, Byers. Remember to breathe.

"I, god, I like you. Like a lot. And I know you like El and you'll never like me back the same way I like you but I just want you to know that you were right. I don't like girls. And I just can't stop thinking about y-" Will rambled

But Mike cut him off. "Wow, woah, Will. I like you too. A lot, actually. I'm was just too scared to say anything. Now, get in so we can listen to some music, yeah?"

With a bashful grin, Will nodded, moving inside the house - the weight on his shoulders finally easing.

Maybe he was better off with now all along.

THE END