𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

Fandom: IANOWT
Pairing: Stanley Barber x OC
Prompt: "We have to get out of here. It's too dangerous."
Warnings: mentions of family problems
Word count: 751

BRIDIE JOHNSON and Stanley Barber has been friends since kindergarten

BRIDIE JOHNSON and Stanley Barber has been friends since kindergarten. They were each other's rock - Bridie would comfort Stan after a beating from his dad and Stan would help her sneak out of her house when her parents would have another one of their frequent domestics.

They weren't a couple. Just the best of friends.

Stanley had a thing for Sydney Novak, from what Bridie could tell.

She was happy for him nonetheless.

That was until he asked Sydney to the prom and she turned him down.

"I don't think I can go, Bridie," Stanley said as he laid on his bed in his pyjamas. Bridie sat on the edge of his bed, her prom dress in hand, ready get ready with her best friend only to find out he's not going.

"Fuck off and get ready," Bridie nudged his leg. "For me?" She batted her lashes playfully causing the curly-haired boy to chuckle.

"No, Brides, my pride wont allow me."

"What pride?" Bridie snorted to herself only for Stanley to gently kick her in the head. "Stanley Barber. You're my best friend. I'm in your house, on your bed, begging you to come to prom with me. You've already got the suit. I know you do," she sang.

Stanley rolled his eyes, propping himself on his elbows as he looked at his best friend's hopeful eyes. He groaned and began to fling himself of the bed.

Bridie jumped up and yelled. "Yes! Yes, yes, yes!! We're go to prom!"

"Alright, alright, calm down before you blow a fuse," he joked. "Go get ready in the bathroom, yeah?"

Bridie grinned and nodded, rushing off to his conjoined bathroom with her dress, shoes, make-up bags and hair products in her arms.

Stanley moves towards his closet and grabbed his bright blue suit that he intended to wear, along with a classic Stanley Barber patterned button-up shirt. He slipped on the suit, and looked himself in the mirror. It was a clashing look but it was Stanley's style so he loved it. He moved onto his hair, styling it slightly without losing his curls.

After being ready for about 30 minutes, Stanley was found laying on his bed, scrolling through his phone when Bridie emerged from the bathroom.

She was dressed in a slim-fitted sparkly blue dress. Her hair had been curled and pinned up into an extravagant bun. She had light makeup yet there was a silvery-blue shimmer over her lids.

"Wow, you look great, Brides!" Stanley whistled. "Did you get that to match?" He gestured to her dress then his suit.

"Shut up, Stanley, let's go," Bridie grabbed his hand and dragged him out of his room.

She lead them through the living room where Stanley's father was sat watching the TV. They stopped short at the sight of Stanley's redneck father, a beer in hand and a cap on his head. Mr Barber began laughing at the blue-clad couple.

Stanley scoffed. "That's right. It's homecoming. You remember, right, dad?" He sarcastically spoke.

"Crowned in '91," Mr Barber nodded. "They still got my picture up in the auditorium."

"Well, Stanley's gonna be the prom king this year," Bridie grinned up at her best friend.

Mr Barber began chuckling again. Stanley scoffed and stared his father down. "Well, how did it turn out for you, dad?"

Mr Barber stopped his laughing and leant forward to lock eyes with his son. "So you're the big man now?" Stanley didn't say anything instead stared at the wall to avoid his father's glare. "Yeah, that's what I thought."

Bridie squeezed Stanley's hand, out of his father's view. "C'mon, we have to get out of here. It's too dangerous," Bridie half-joked. "We'll get gassed out by his belches," she whispered in his ear, causing Stanley to crack a smile.

"What was that, missy?" Mr Barber asked Bridie.

"Nothing, just telling Stanley I rigged the polls so we'll be king and queen," she confidently spoke, whilst dragging Stanley out fo the house. "Hey, maybe they'll finally be able to replace your picture in the auditorium!" She happily spoke just as she was leaving.

"You'll get me killed one day, Bridie," Stanley snorted.

"Yeah, well, better me than him, right?"

Stanley grinned, spinning her around gently. "I'd gladly let you kill me, Bridie Johnson."

THE END