𝐒𝐎 𝐋𝐎𝐍𝐆 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓𝐍𝐄𝐑

Fandom: Stranger Things
Pairing: Billy Hargrove x OC
Prompt: "You're leaving? Just like that?"
Warnings: sad/angst/fluff
Word count: 1035

Fandom:  Stranger ThingsPairing: Billy Hargrove x OCPrompt: "You're leaving? Just like that?"Warnings: sad/angst/fluffWord count: 1035

CINDY SUMMERS was the most popular girl at Springvalley High in California. Ever since she became a freshman, she was known as the 'golden girl'. Everyone wanted to know her, be her, be with her -- all of it. Yet one thing that would stop people from doing the latter was the school bully, Billy Hargrove.

He wasn't always such a bully. He used to be loving, caring, care-free, sweet -- all the things that Cindy loved about him. But then his mother left him alone with his abusive father. That's when he changed. It was understandable, at least it was for Cindy. She had lost her father thanks to an affair so she knew what he was going through. But Billy and his mother's relationship was more advanced than Cindy and her father's. So whenever she would try to comfort him, he'd push her further and further away to the point where she didn't know the Billy Hargrove that would stand beside her.

But she still loved him. No matter what, she couldn't let Billy go with the hope that the old Billy would come back one day and they could be their old selves. But it had been over a year now and there was no change.

It was a Saturday night when Billy asked Cindy out for a date. It was to nowhere special, Billy had said, but it was in Cindy's eyes. He took her to the beach. He never went to the beach anymore after his mother's departure. He had quit surfing much to Cindy's dismay but she understood that it wouldn't be the same without his mother there to cheer him on. But it still hurt to see the only hobby he had slowly drift away.

They didn't really talk on the drive, both transfixed on the passing houses and street signs as his rock tape filled the silence. His hand remained planted on her thigh throughout the journey.

They weren't on the road for long as the beach came into view. "Billy?" Cindy's voice broke the comfortable silence that they both got used to. "How come we came to the beach?"

Billy parked his car. The blue Chevrolet Camaro seemed to have become his only pride and joy now. His head rolled to the side on the headrest so he could look at Cindy. "Just felt like it," It wasn't the answer she wanted at all.

They stepped out of the car nonetheless and found a nice spot on the sand. Not too close the waves but close enough to savour the smell and the sensation of the splashing water. Cindy was tucked under Billy's arm as they both looked on at the dark sky and the still trashing sea.

"I love you, baby, you know that, right?" Billy announced suddenly through the silence.

Cindy looked up at him, her eyelashes just barely brushing against the bottom of her brow bone. "I know, Billy. I love you too."

"You're too good for me," he commented, looking down at his girlfriend. Usually, he would say 'you're too good to me' but the replacement of 'to' made her furrow her brow.

She raised her head from his broad shoulder. "What do you mean, baby?"

Billy looked down at their entwined hands with a regretful look. "I don't deserve you, Cindy."

Cindy scoffed gently. "Yes, you do. I-I know you're going through a tough time right now but you do deserve me and I deserve you too."

Billy shook his head. "We're moving tomorrow."

Cindy fell silent. "What?"

"Dad's moving us to Indiana. To live there. Permanently," Billy said. His wording was confident but his voice and body language were weak. He couldn't look into Cindy's eyes -- he already knew they would be swirling with sadness, anger and betrayal. He couldn't blame her. After how he had treated her in the past few months was unforgivable. Cindy didn't deserve that.

"Why are just telling me?" Cindy asked, her voice quiet yet deadly, hidden behind the quiver and cracks was a storm of anger and regret. "You're leaving? Just like that?" She clicked her fingers to emphasise how quickly he was expecting her to take this information. It was unfair.

"I'm sorry, Cind-"

"No!" Cindy exclaimed, her voice cracking as tears threatened to prick her eyes. "Y-you can't just leave. And not tell me until the day before you go!"

"Calm down-"

Cindy laughed bitterly. "Calm down?! How did you think I would react, Billy?! You were my first boyfriend. My first kiss. My first time. My first everything! I gave you my all. And here you are, giving me nothing. Not even a tear. Do this," she gestured between them. "Mean anything to you."

"Of course-"

"Then act like it," Cindy seethed. Billy remained silent. He made no move to embrace her. No tears. No falter. Just silence. Cindy sighed sadly. "I tried so hard with you. I lost you a while ago, Billy."

Billy finally had the strength to look at Cindy for the first time since he uttered his secret. "I'm sorry."

Cindy scoffed. She stood up, dusting off the sand that disgustingly stuck to her skin. "Take me home. Now."

She didn't wait for him to stand up. Instead, Cindy walked away and got into his car. Billy stood and looked out at the sea for a few seconds. Memories of his mother and the dates he had with Cindy over the years. He twisted his neck to peer at his car. In the passenger seat, he saw Cindy sobbing into her hands.

His heart wrenched in his chest, but he knew there was nothing that could help him or Cindy. There was no way that they would stay together. Even if he did stay, it wouldn't be long before Cindy realised her worth and ended the relationship herself.

"So this is it," Billy spoke to himself, his gaze fixed on the moving waves. He didn't know who he was referring to -- the beach, his lost mother, Cindy, or all of them. "So long, partner."

THE END