Unwanted Guests

TIANA

It had been difficult and tough; days had passed before she finally forgave me. Sadly my mother possessed an incredible ability to hold grudges.

Now I see where I got that system from.

Needless to say she was still ignoring my calls. I probably deserved it given my behaviour. Granted, I hadn't meant to snap particularly at her. Another part of me- a small, minuscule part of me felt bad for the outburst that chose him as its target.

However, I was protective over Tim. It felt wrong to let my mother's claim that they held some similarities be accepted as a fact. It irritated me. In my eyes, no one would ever come close to Tim- especially him.

In my eyes I had intentionally deemed him a minor feature that would eventually fade and burn out. Only to have him keep appearing, deepening his place in our lives and I wasn't too happy about it especially when he carried himself in a way that frustrated me. I was torn. When I stormed out after blatantly pointing out how much I detested his presence, he gave me his scarf?

And now standing here, the feel of the cold metal doorknob in my hand that ironically juxtaposed the searing anger boiling internally as he casually slipped past me, purposefully ignoring the heated glare directed at him.

I knew that eventually, karma would catch up to me, but having him appear at my workplace like this was taking it too far.

The original plan had been simple: work, takeout, more work and then home, where I'd do my best to sleep despite being haunted by that nightmare. Now seeing the way he looked around my office casually, I could tell this would not end in my favour at all.

"I . . .uh," he muttered clearing his throat awkwardly as he looked up in my direction," thought you would be hungry. Working late can really strike up an appetite," he stated lifting the takeout bag, taking tentative steps to decrease the distance between us much to my dismay. My eyes swept over him as the smell of the food he had bought wafted into my nostrils engraving itself in my head. He turned swiftly on his feet and carefully placed the food on my desk.

"You honestly think bringing food is going to make me reconsider your ridiculous offer. Besides I'm not hungry," I replied coolly crossing my arms across my chest gratified at my voice's indifference to the aroma that spread into the room. It came out firm and assertive.

However, my stomach failed to cooperate as it growled ferociously, exposing my blatant lie. His eyes dropped to it as it continued singing a song, evoking a smirk appear on his lips. Pushing him to confidently take a seat without my permission and began taking out the contents from the bag making my mouth salivate.

Just breathe.

"I said-"

"I heard you the first time," he replied calmly sparing a glance in my direction," sadly when it comes to nourishing the body, your stomach not only holds the final verdict, it has more power over anything regardless of your words. Now would you like the chicken or beef?" he asked holding up the two containers.

I bit my lip, it was the only suitable action to block my tongue from poking out to lick my lips and show just how interested I was in the food. I wouldn't give in; I was too stubborn for that," So first the scarf and now this," I gestured to the food," I see you've taken it upon yourself to make me some kind of charity case?"

His firm jaw clenching was the sufficient sign I needed to draw the conclusion he was somewhere between annoyed or upset.

That makes the two of us.

"I just wanted to do something nice. There's no need to make it come across as me claiming you don't have the money to take care of yourself. I know you're more than capable of it. Now what are you having?" he muttered slowly, deliberately as if addressing a child whilst his eyes bore into mine. In those grey eyes, I could see the determination burning behind them. Saw that past the neutral expression, in those orbs laid a determination to stay seated in my office no matter how much I attempted to annoy him by refusing.