Late Night Tales

TIANA

Rubbing vigorously to wipe the fatigue out of my eyes, my feet touched the cold floor slowly moving towards the knocking at the door. A crippling fear formed inside me at being woken up in the middle of the night, unlike most times when it was from that torturous dream.

I was doing my best to keep a level head by telling myself that everything was fine. And before I opened the door, I sent a silent prayer to my maker that no matter what was waiting for me behind this door I would be able to handle it.

After taking a look through the peephole, the worry subsided to be taken over by confusion as I swung the door open to find Luis standing wearing an odd grin on his face. It only took approximately two seconds due to the repugnant stench rolling off his body to come to the conclusion that he had been drinking.

"Hi," he mumbled lowly moving forward to lean against my doorframe, his glazed eyes moving slowly over my frame.

"Luis- ah!"

I yelped when he yanked me forward causing me to unceremoniously land against his chest. His head lowered to the crook of my neck," You smell good."

"You're drunk," I stated pulling his head from the crook of my shoulder. An action he didn't seem to like if the pout he wore was anything to come by.

"More of tipsy. If I was drunk . . . I don't think I would have made it up those stairs," his speech was slower than usual. I narrowed my gaze taking him in: the red nose, tinted pink cheeks and red eyes.

He had been crying.

Without a second thought, I pulled him inside. Even if I wanted to turn him away, my conscious would haunt me for letting him roam the streets in his condition. Besides he was too much of an easy target.

"Look, you can stay here till your ass gets sober," I grumbled turning on the lamp to offer more light to the room. I pushed him onto the couch when instead of his body moving it was his eyes roaming- taking in the living-room. Once his body landed on the soft cushion, I turned ready to grab a blanket from the closet only to have him tighten his hand around mine. I looked back down, a question simmering behind my brown orbs, he looked away and just as I was about to ask him 'what's wrong' he pointed to the space next to him.

He groaned when he saw my lack of corporation to follow his request but I wouldn't budge. He closed his eyes and murmured something under his breath. Even if I tried to strain my ears I would have never heard what he was saying.

The only sound coming from him was akin to a low rumbling, brows pulled together the longer he kept displaying this strange behaviour, the more concerned I grew," What's going on with you?'' I nudged his shoulder gently, keeping my voice soft to avoid startling him.

He looked up at me, moisture gathering in his eyes making them shine surpassing the usual gleam that's in them. Now all I saw was sadness; a searing form of anguish swirling in his grey orbs when he spoke. His voice sounded strained but this time I heard him clearly, the words sinking." Do you think I'm a monster?"

Plopping on the seat next to him, my eyes were yet to stray away from him, pondering the question. Unsure of what to say until I eventually settled on saying," No . . . I don't." The look he gave me informed me of his distrust in my answer and he scoffed before his face settled into the comfort of a frown.

"You should. I came from one," he chuckled darkly.

"I think you should lie down, you've had a long night."

"Rest won't stop the sins of my father from visiting me." he breathed deeply, hands shaking to the point he balled them into fists when he saw my gaze drop to them.