More Than You Know

TIANA

I bit down on my lip hard hearing the tired sigh slip past my mother's lips as she eyed me," Tiana. . ."

"You can go on without me. I'm not ready yet."

"Tim has been in the ground for years now. When will you ever be ready to visit him and your father," she mumbled grabbing her keys.

I looked away briefly out of guilt, knowing that she was right. It had been years but I hadn't mustered up enough courage to go to the cemetery and at this point, I wasn't sure if I ever would. She moved around the house ensuring she had everything and I remained stuck in my seat wishing I could push my bones to move instead of being limp in this chair. Flowers in hand she paused briefly by the door and gave me one final look.

"You sure you don't want to come?"

Of course I want to come.

"Yes, I-I'm good," I said feeling a weight be placed on my shoulders at the look that flashed past her face before she nodded timidly and quietly shut the door. I stretched my legs under the table and looked at the childhood walls left to my thoughts.

I didn't exactly know how long I sat there. Eventually, I stood up and shuffled around the house, not looking for anything in particular until I caught sight of Tim's door. Taking a step towards it, I froze when I heard knocking. Confused I waited a few more seconds to ensure my mind was playing with me. When I heard the continuous light knocking I opened the door without a second thought and found grey orbs widen in shock.

"Please tell me my mother didn't call you here to keep me company?" I groaned leaning against the door, he smirked and spared a glance over my shoulder.

"I came to see your mom. But judging from your statement, I'm guessing she's not here."

"Yeah she went out . . . somewhere. Not sure what time she'll be back so you can return la-" my statement was cut short when he pushed me aside and entered the house without uttering so much as a word to me. I nearly tripped at his sudden movements but the feel of his arm snaking around my waist made the possibility of me falling onto the floor seem unlikely.

He held me up and instinctively my hands laid flat on his chest- upon further investigation by my fingertips, a firm chest to be more specific.

"You're surprisingly quite clumsy, aren't you?" he murmured staring down at me and as much as I'd allowed this man to invade my personal space, standing here close to me, it baffled me how all this time I had never noticed the golden flecks in his eyes. The same eyes that I only realized were equally observing me, taking me in as well. I knew at this point I should push him away but the smell that entered my nostrils made my tense muscles relax slightly to sniff the scent. Unlike the other times, this one was spicy.

Taking a few calming breaths, my eyes remained trained on his. His orbs continued an invisible path all over my face. The rhythm in my chest grew more intense as his eyes darkened once they landed on my lips.

The times I neglected my needs hit me full force at the fact I was getting winded just from this man's attention.

When I knew I should have been at my brother's grave.

Just that thought dampened my mood. My lips snapped shut along with my emotions and I wasted no other time in pushing him away feeling ashamed all of a sudden. I moved past him ignoring his questioning gaze.

"Obviously if I told you to leave you won't. And I'm in no condition to fight you off so sit wherever you want just. . ." I paused to look him in the eye," don't bother me."