Odd Behaviour

TIANA

Tears trailed down her cheeks, fortunately, they were only motivated by the outcome in the courtroom when we won the case. No other feeling I'd ever felt in the life I've had could compare to the joy I felt knowing good had prevailed.

"I don't know if I've said this enough but . . . thank you," she sniffled as her mother, Lisa rubbed her back soothingly. I could see in her mother's eyes the emotions dying to spill down her own cheeks. Seeing the love and support between them almost had me succumbing to the need to cry as well. My mother leaned against the counter observing them and the way her eyes were constantly blinking, I knew she was on the brink of breaking down too.

I had only met Monica's mother on a handful of occasions when we met up to discuss the case. But she seemed like a nice individual from the times we spoke. What I was sure of was the love and protective nature she had for Monica and I knew winning this case was equally imperative to her as much as it was for Monica.

"It's fine Monica. It wouldn't have been right for me to let your story go unheard- you along with so many others deserve some peace beyond the turmoil you've gone through."

My mother came forward and placed a few bakery goods in front of us. And for what seemed like the thousandth time today, Monica's eyes lit up with glee. She smiled at me and I secretly hoped a friendship would develop between us. The thought made me hopeful to open up such that when we were in the mood to celebrate, we came to my mother's shop. Even though my mother hadn't said it- I could see it in her eyes that she was happy that in some way I was making an effort to not hide away into my shell.

"Little T is kicking ass, I see," my smile widened when I heard Nathan's voice. He walked further into the shop and engulfed me in a warm hug. When he turned to Monica maybe I may have been over reading things but there seemed to be a certain twinkle in his eye when he hugged her as well with a level of care as if fearful to break her.

"I'm really glad you won the case," he muttered, I held back a smile at the way he rubbed his neck awkwardly at the smile she gave him.

Well I'll be damned. . .

When she introduced him to her mother, he appeared flustered and nervous at meeting the older woman who seemed to watch him with a knowing look.

Looks like I wasn't the only one who saw it.

Once he greeted my mother whose smile widened as she came and placed a slice of cake in front of him once he settled comfortably into his seat.

"I swear you have a gift," he groaned after taking a generous bite of the chocolate goodness eliciting a giggle from my mother.

"So what's the plan now?" he asked, Monica shrugged her shoulders. But given the way she bit her lip, I could see the smile begging to form again.

"The sky's the limit."

"And you know that you keep on just keep on pressing on," he sang causing us both to burst out laughing at the classic tune that any rap fanatic who experienced 90's nostalgia would know.

But I knew Tupac had my heart since I heard Brenda's got a baby.

I moved subtly away from the pair as they conversed between them. When I was about to enter the kitchen, the space I used to spend hours on end with my mother learning to bake, the sound of the door opening caught my attention.

Luis entered the shop and the smile spread across my face before I could stop it.

He deserved my courtesy given the past circumstances. His eyes landed on me and a ghost of a smile seemed to be on his lips as he moved further into the shop.