Satisfied

-This part was named after the song from Hamilton, which is pretty bold, since I haven't even listened to the whole soundtrack yet -

"Wally, cut it out!"

"Not what you said last night."

Dick looked up from his phone. with a snarky smile. "Guys, we don't need to see your romantic exploits."

"Sorry, I guess we're a little PDA..." Wally ran his hand up Artemis' thigh, making her giggle and blush.

Dick looked away, rolling his eyes. "Yeah, 'a little' doesn't cover the half of it."

Wally tried to continue the conversation while Artemis draped her arms around the shoulder. "So... uh... how's Zatanna?"

Dick shrugged. "We're not dating." 

"Oh, right." He broke away, giggling, as Artemis wrapped her arms around his chest and pulled him back onto the couch, on top of her. "Babe!"

Dick got up and paced a little, giving them some privacy. He went to get some snacks, but M'gann was having Conner help her make dinner. It was way too flirty and awkward, so Dick went off to find Kaldur; singles club, you know? 

But Aqualad was busy that day, leaving Dick as the lone, fifth wheel. he returned to the living room, trying to rationalize: he should be happy for his friends, no matter how uncomfortable they made him.

He snuck back in to the room, watching the back of their heads resting against each other. They were watching Mama Mia: Here We Go Again. 

Dick crept across the room, watching the heads and shoulders snuggle closer. The blonde rotated slightly, pressing her lips against the redhead.

Wally chuckled. "I love you, Artemis."

Dick kept walking, his pace hurrying, he swept his back pack off the floor. He slipped out the zetabeam. they were better having that moment without him.

"Dick."

"Hey Bruce." Dick unshouldered his bag, dropping it on the floor of the cave. His heart was beating faster than normal, making his chest rattle. 

"Are you alright?"

He took out his phone and laptop. "Fine. just tired." He started towards the stairs. He usually hopped, skipping stairs, and kicking legs out behind him. but not now. His hand clasped the railing, pulling himself up, on step at a time. 

Cold light crashed through the window, he pulled the curtains closed, but it didn't held much. his feet and arms were cold. 

He opened his laptop, staring at the blank login screen. He turned on his phone, 5%, and put on a podcast to drown out the silence. the charger was right there, but he waited, watching the phone die slowly.

'I love you, Artemis'  The words clattered around his skull.

There was a picture on his desk; the three of them at Wally's birthday party. Wally had an arm over each of them, Artemis was reaching over to smudge chocolate frosting off his nose. Dick held the frame, the drone of the podcast dying behind him.

the frame got blurry.

'I love you, Artemis'

A tear splashed off the dusty glass panel.

'I love you, Artemis'

he raised his forearm, dragging it up his under-eye.

They really did love each other, that's the worst part. He wished she was using him, manipulating him to love her. But he really loved her. God, what kind of friend-no, human, was he, that he'd rather his Wally were manipulated than happy?

He did love her, and no interference from him could change that. Either he lived with him loving her, or he lived without either of them, for the rest of his life. or he could die. bedroom window, fifteen feet down to concrete stairs. All he'd have to do was pull back the curtains, squint against the light, an jump.

His heart was being squeezed, compressed, it was the end. He raised his other arm and dried his face. His blood felt so warm right now, he couldn't tell tears from sweat.

He slid the glass out of the frame, pulling out the photograph. It had been printed on cheap, computer paper, he could so easily crumple it into oblivion, or take it to the bathtub with a zippo and watch it burn.

'I love you, Artemis'

He folded a crease through the photo. he let in a shaky breath and pulled his hands away from each other. He found himself reveling in the soul crushing rip in the photo.

He stared down at the left side: a happy pair of teens, grinning and covered in birthday cake frosting. he stared at the right half: the third teen, hanging off the boy's other arm.

Dick pulled the glass panel back and inserted half the photo. he replaced the frame, facing his bed.

His laptop fell asleep.

He sat in his silent, darkening room and looked down at the remaining half. he tore it in quarters, crumpling it with a sudden bout of anger, and cramming the fistful of paper under his mattress. he stared up at the photo.

Wally and Artemis grinned back. 

It was better this way.

'I love you'  He heard Wally's voice echo in his mind.

He rolled back on his bed. He didn't want to cry anymore. His eyes were tacky and dry; and he was content to remain, brewing in his emotion. His eyes drifted close a second, heavy breaths entering and vacating his lungs at a steady pace.

"I love you too, Wally"