The New Kid (Reverse Batfam)

-Thanks to @JRyszarda for the request. requests always open-

Ages:

Terry - 19

Damian - 16

Tim - 14

Jason - 12

Dick - 5

Jason took his glass of juice into the living room to watch TV.

"D-I-C-K. See?" Terry guided Dick's hand, spelling out the five year old's name. 

"Ugh, do you guys have to do that here?" Jason groaned.

"It's the most convenient place." The eldest brother said. "Awesome job, Dickie! Now try on your own."

Jason snorted as the child scribbled a few letter-abominations with his blue Crayola marker. "What five year old can't even write his own name? He's old enough to be in kindergarten."

"Lay off, Jay, English isn't his first language." Tim said. "Great job, Dick!"

"Great job?" Jason laughed. "Titus can write his name better than that!"

"Jay, no one is making you hang out here." Terry reminded. He put his hand over Dick's again. "It looks good, Dick, Let me just help you clean it up a little."

Jason watched a little longer, rolling his eyes as Dick failed to write his name. The D looked more like an O, and he drew the the wrong way around. The kid was pathetic!

"Way to go, Dick, that looks Really Good!" Tim encouraged. The word looked like 'Oi)k'.

"You should go show Bruce." Terry encouraged, tearing the page out of the note pad. "I think he's in his office.

Dick wandered to the doorway and already looked lost. "I'll show you, Dickie." Tim stood up, leading him out.

"He's never gonna get it." Jason said, flipping on the TV.

"That's pessimistic." Terry replied.

"Well he's not! He's five and can't speak a word English, He aint going t'get it."

"It might take some time, but he only arrived here two weeks ago." The eldest defended. 

"Yeah, sure." Jason still hadn't warmed up to the newest family member, he was used to being the youngest child! He'd gone from the one getting the most attention, to a middle child. He'd seen what happened to middle children, Bruce literally forgot to pick Tim up from school multiple times this month.

Jason went from being the center of attention to having his whole family fawning over this little brat. It was stupid!

Tim returned in the doorway, leading Dick inside. "Dick, what did Bruce say?"

"Bruse... said..." He thought for a second. Tim whispered the word to him. "Good!"

"Nice! you want to go ask Alfred for a snack?"

Dick nodded excitedly, and the three exited.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Be careful." Damian warned. "Remember: you DO NOT pull on his fur, and you DO NOT grab him."

Dick carefully put out his fist, letting the big dog sniff him. He was terrified, The dog was more like a bear to him, it looked dangerous. He was scared enough of Damian, without the guard dog.

"Hello." He said to the dog, who leaned forwards and picked up his scent. Titus hovered his huge wet nose over Dick's hand, and then licked it. Dick squealed, jerking his arm back, he backed behind Damian for safety. 

"He likes you." Damian stated flatly. Internally, he was impressed, Titus didn't connect immediately with most people.

Dick continued to shy away as the dog stepped forwards curiously. Titus kept approaching the boy as he backed away. "Stop." He whispered.

"Don't run, he'll chase you." Damian warned, putting a hand on the dog's head. "Just stay still and let him get used to you."

Dick stumbled backwards and tripped. He sat still, frozen as the beast stalked forwards. The dog began circling Dick, prodding him with his nose, The boy let out a frightened whine. 
The beast must have considered him worthy, as he proceeded to shove Dick flat on his back, drowning him in tongue and slobber. Dick screamed in fear.

"Back off." Damian stated. The dog looked up, leaving the trembling boy in the grass. He pulled Dick up onto his feet, still shaking a little. "He really likes you."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After dinner, everyone was assembled in the living room. The oldest brother entered, clearing his throat. "Dick has something to show you guys." 

Tim turned off the TV and they all looked expectantly at the little boy. He gulped nervously. "I can say... names..."

"Really?" Bruce asked, leaning forwards. This was progress.

Dick looked at Terry one last time for moral support. "Bruse, Jay-son, Tim, Dam-i-an, an'  Tewense."

"PFFt." Jason snorted. "It's Terrence, idiot."

The boy's cheeks tinted pink. He stood, mortified, in front of his new family. A tear dribbled down his face and the boy ran from the room.

"What The Absolute Fuck, Jay?" Tim exclaimed. No one reminded him to watch his language.

"Jason!" Terry scolded. "Why would you say that?"

"What? You guys are always saying we should correct his English!" The preteen defended.

"That was completely unnecessary." Damian snarled. 

"He can barely speak English!" Tim shouted. "He's been working so hard and you just-" He got up and began pacing angrily.

"Jason," Bruce tried not to berate him, That was Damian's field. "I'm disappointed. Go apologize to your poor baby brother Right now."

"He's not my brother!" Jason scoffed. "he's just a dumb kid that Bruce took pity on!"

"How do you think you came into this family?" Damian spat.

"Go apologize to Dick right now."

"Fuck No!" Jason stormed out, stomping upstairs and locking himself in his room.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All night, they tried coax Dick out of his bedroom, but he refused. He'd gone through his brand new note book and torn out every page he'd written on, crumpling them up and throwing them at the floor. 
He felt so stupid. What made him think he could learn English?
He'd try to run away, but that would been leaving his room, and seeing everyone.

Everyone took turns knocking on Dick's door and saying they were going 'out'. Dick refused to answer. 
They hated to leave on patrol just then, but there was a massive weapons deal at the docks that night. They weren't bringing Jason. Jason couldn't leave his room until he apologized to Dick.

Dick cried into his mattress until he was too exhausted to stay awake. 

At two am, his door opened. He didn't wake up. Jason shook his shoulder until he woke up. As soon as Dick realized that Jason had woken him up, he turned away, burying his face in hid duvet cover.

"hey." He tried to make Dick face him. "HEY." Dick still refused to turn around, shaking a little. "I brought you chocolate milk." Jason set the Mug on Dick's nightstand and left.

It wasn't 'I'm sorry', but for Jason, it was a pretty good start.