Batman?

-More stuff on my Deivient art, mostly just dumb jokes that I couldn't fit into a part-

Dick couldn't sleep, every time he closed his eyes, he saw his parents. Even when he brought up happy memories, they were tinted with grieving, making his stomach squeeze and flip. His sadness was more like a lingering guilt, or disappointment in his chest. 

For the first time all weekend, Dick rolled out of bed. He was messy, he hadn't gotten new clothes yet, so all his socks had holes in them, and his shirt didn't fit. He shuffled into the dark hallway and stumbled down into the living room in the dark. 

He crawled onto the sofa. that didn't feel right. This was Bruce's house, he shouldn't be using it. He looked up at the picture of his parents. It was a good picture, but it made him feel worse. He couldn't cry any more, he'd exhausted himself with his emotions.

After a few minutes, Dick heard footsteps. He didn't want to be found out of bed. He could get in trouble, he didn't know what 'trouble' would look like in the manor, but he was scared. How mad would Bruce be? Would he yell? Would he hit him? Dick had been hit before he came to live with Bruce, it was horrible. What if Bruce sent him back? He could do that, right? 

Dick shuffled on his stomach, under the couch, watching. He saw Alfred walk out from the hall. Did that guy ever sleep? He held his breath as the man walked across the room to the grandfather clock. Alfred began moving around the hands of the clock.

To his astonishment, there was a slight whirring as the clock... floated off the ground? except there was a HIDDEN ROOM? His mind was not processing what he saw. The clock slid closed after him. Dick watched in silence, mouth agape for about five minutes. he wasn't that tired, was he?

There was another whirring, and the older man excited the clock again. Dick waited until the man's footsteps were long gone, before crawling out. He tip toed cross to the clock.

Dick couldn't reach the clock face, he took a couple books off the shelf and set them on the floor. Dick crawled up, reaching for the clock hands? Where did Alfred put them again?

There was a click and whirring, sending Dick toppling off the books. He froze at the sight of the closet-like room beyond. Possessed, he crawled into the room. Suddenly, there was a slight vibration from underneath him, and the clock slid shut.

"NO!" He shouted, throwing himself against the door. Suddenly, there was a drop in his stomach, and this time, it wasn't from emotion. It was like he was falling.

There was a click behind him, and another door opened. There was nothing awaiting him in this little closet room, and he was curious. scared, but curious.

He finally got to his feet and stumbled out. It was a HUGE cavern, computers and big lights were everywhere. Things he couldn't describe. He looked around with wide eyes, what was this place?

There was a distant rumble, and the screeching of tires. Dick watched a huge, long car careen into the huge cave just below him. A tall, dark, figure excited the car. 

Dick froze. Batman. That's where he was, the batcave! 

Oh god, he was in trouble.

Dick stumbled back and crouched behind a pillar, listening to heavy footsteps walk around under him. Dick watched the doors, he had to get out of there! He crawled out from behind the pillar, if he was quiet, he might be able to make it back before-

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" 

Dick froze, the voice was deep and serious. He didn't move. A hand grabbed his shoulder.

Dick shrieked, kicking wildly. He hoped that Bruce or Alfred would catch him, that would be better than this. He thrashed against the hand as it pulled him off the floor.

"Stop! STOP!" He cried, Pulling himself back. "STOP! PLEASE!"  

"Why Are You Down Here?" The hand jerked him around to see a man in a dark suit. Batman.

"Please! Please! Stop! put me down!" He sobbed, flailing his legs at the man while his arms tried to free him. "STOP! PLEASE! BRUCE!" He called out, desperate for any help.

The bat suddenly let go, not dropping him, just lowering him to the ground. The kid tried to scurry away, crying out for help.

Bruce couldn't watch him be scared of him like this, crying out in terror. "Dick, Dick, It's me." He pulled back his cowl. 

Dick kept crawling backwards, until he realized he recognized the voice. He paused, looking up shakily. "Bruce?"

"What are you doing down here, Dick?"

Dick blinked away a few tears of panic. He didn't know. "I saw the clock move."

Bruce sighed heavily. When he'd first expressed interest in taking Dick in, one of the first things Alfred had said was 'You won't be able to hide Batman from someone living the house you stupid idiot' (Paraphrasing). 

But he was right, wouldn't Dick notice that he was never around? With a sigh, Bruce trudged to the communications bored, and pressed the most used, worn button.

"What are you doing up?" He asked the boy, who was trying to dry his face. 

Dick shrugged shyly and sadly, a look Bruce used to give when he was up at night thinking abut his parents. The kid was refusing to look at him. "You are Batman."

Only then did the danger of the situation hit Bruce. "Yes, Dickie, I am. But you can Never tell anyone, okay?" The kid nodded a little. "Dick, Promise me that you won't tell. this is a secret."

"Promise I won't tell." Dick agreed, sniffling.

Just then, the door opened underneath him. He collapsed onto the floor of the elevator, he looked up. Alfred?

"Oh dear." He looked down at the crying little boy at his feet.

"Yeah, he- yeah..." Was all Bruce could say. "He found it."

Alfred sighed and lowered himself to where Dick lay, helping him up off the floor. "What are you doing out of bed, Master Richard."

Dick blinked, confused. Alfred knew? It made sense, but still... weird. He remembered he'd snuck out of bed, and felt a wave of shame. He muttered that he'd gotten lost, staring down at the floor as the elderly butler dusted him off.

"He saw the clock moving." Bruce exclaimed, pacing a bit. How the hell was he going to handle this? Dick might tell someone. He might wander down here and got hurt. "I think we better get him to bed. Dick, go with Alfred."

Dick turned around, looking up at Bruce. "No, wait-"

Whoa. That was the first time Dick had shown a strong opinion! That had to be good, right? Him sharing his opinions was a step up from not even looking at him, that morning.

"What?" He asked, concerned.

"I- I want-Uh-I-" Dick was stumbling over his words, scared of Bruce. 

"It's okay, Dick." Bruce tried to sound reassuring, he didn't know how to do that, next.

Dick finally managed to get out: "I want to help you! I want to help!"

Bruce bit his lower lip. fuck. what did he do now? He reached out towards Dick, who backed further into Alfred's leg. "Maybe another time, Dick. Right now, you need to go to bed."

Dick relented easily, sniffling at the floor, as Alfred took him up to bed. Bruce changed quickly, Heading upstairs. He knew Dick needed his space, but didn't want to leave him alone. He sat with his back against the boy's door. 

He didn't know how to help the boy. But he'd find a way.

-Do you want to see more bits with the YJ crew, or are you content with just Daddy bats?-