Golden

Author's Note: Thank you guys for 1K+ reads on this story! That's insane. I love you, I appreciate you, always. What're your thoughts on how this story is progressing? I'd love to know! Feel free to leave a comment here :). This chapter is a continuation of the last one ;) (and I think it's my favorite). Enjoy.

***

CARA

I internally told myself to suppress whatever confusion I was feeling in that moment.

He was just being nice because I was knocking myself down. That's it. Too often do I make a big deal out of things that aren't a big deal. I do that all the time.

He didn't seem awkward at all after it happened so I convinced myself he didn't know I heard it. I wasn't going to let one little comment make the day weird.

So right after that I forced him to come with me and find more flowers. I needed more pictures of this unreal place. I mean, the amount of yellow, orange and pink flowers that filled this entire meadow needed to be remembered.

By now, I've taken well over one hundred photos of the scenery here. I didn't let Harry know but I even got a few of him when he wasn't looking.

Serves him right for taking photos of me.

"I think we should head out to the next location," he tells me, looking down at his watch.

I peer down at my phone and see it's two-thirty in the afternoon. It's impossible to believe we've been here this long and that over four hours of the day has already passed.

The only thing that's harder to believe is that Harry has another location planned for the day. How many favorite places does this kid have?

"The next place?" I question.

"Yes," he responds. "I think you'll like this one," he says, turning on his heel and walking back down the dirt path. I stand there and just watch as he walks away. He turns around once he's a meter away from me and stops his stride. "I think you're going to want to come with me if you want to find your way out of this place," he laughs.

I quickly run up behind him and follow him back to the car. We laugh and talk as we walk. I peer down at my pictures, he peers down at me.

We hop in when we're back at the car, and I sigh as he rolls the window down, pulling away from the beautiful meadow. I hope I'll get to come back here someday.

He turns on the radio and puts on some Joni Mitchell.

"A lovely choice," I turn my head and smile at him. I peel my sunglasses off my face and shove them into my purse.

He just smiles at me and nods, his left hand hanging out of the window as he drives down the road.

I watch the meadow slowly dissipate as we come back to the reality of California. Not that it's a bad reality by any means. Mountains that cut into the sky start to form as we drive down the road, allowing only a few clouds to be seen overtop of them. I smile at the trees and flowers we pass, the different cars.

This is a world like no other.

We eventually pull aside on the road to a scene that overlooks a cliff. Shrubbery fills the side of the road and in the distance I can see a dirt path. What are we doing here?

Harry takes off his seat belt and gets out of the car as I stare at the location in front of me.

Are we going hiking? Because I did not bring the proper footwear for that.

He walks around the car and opens my door for me. I step out quickly and smile at him. "Thanks," I say, peering back at the cliff. "Harry, if we're going hiking, I don't really-"