Perfect

Author's Note: This chapter's a little more chill, but I like the simplicity of it. You'll notice a lot of chapters aren't overly eventful, but hopefully you see how their relationship is developing and growing with time, even in these non-eventful moments. But wowww I love this chapter a lot.

***

CARA

The other guys and Lou left the party at the pier shortly after midnight so they could head back to the hotels and unwind. Harry and I stayed, though. The two of us stood in the silence of one another and just peacefully watched the waves crash as we sipped our golden champagne.

We didn't talk and we didn't move. We just stood, his arm around mine while we watched the ocean mix with the night sky. 

And it was the perfect way to start the new year.

Now it's probably two in the morning and much of the party has died down. There are only a couple dozen people still here, and Harry and I are walking down the long pier to go back to the hotel. 

I stop in the middle of my stride and reach down to my feet. They're killing me. As cute as these heels are, they're not made for long-term wear. Harry turns around and looks at me, watching as I unclasp the first shoe.

"Are they hurting you?" he asks as I fiddle awkwardly with the clasp. I peer up at him and nod, giving him a struggled smile. He walks over to me and bends down on his knees, reaching for the clasp I have my hand on. His soft fingers brush mine as he says, "Here, let me."

"I can, uh- I can do it, I just-"

"No need," he gives me a soft smile. My hair falls in my face as I watch him undo the clasps on both shoes, relieving so much pressure on my ankles. "Better?" he asks.

"Yes," I breathe. "Much." He tugs at my shoes a little bit, and I step out of them and onto the white carpet beneath me. "Thank you," I say as I wisp the hair from my face.

His curls bounce a little bit as he stands up and holds both heels in one of his large hands, holding out his other hand for me to grab. "Always, angel," he smiles.

He's so sweet.

I grab his hand and he swings them as we walk down the pier. I feel my heart beat rapidly at the small but kind gesture. 

He is always doing things like this for me. 

There's something about the way he makes me feel when he does such small and kind things like this. I can't explain it, and I'm not sure what it is, but all I know is I've never felt this way with anyone. No one has ever made me feel this cared for.

He eventually pulls his hand away from mine and wraps his arm around my shoulder. He still carries my heels in his one hand, now pulling me close to him as we walk slowly down the pier. The peaceful sound of the waves crashing against the structure, and our footsteps radiating below us is all that is heard. 

And as we always do, we just let the silence between us carry the two of us down the pier, under the night sky. 

After a few moments, Harry squeezes me tightly before he speaks slowly and quietly. "I'm happy it was you," he says. The waves crash below us and I turn my head to look at him in confusion.