Why Don't We Go There

Author's Note: Hope you're all well! Let me know your thoughts on how the story's progressing. I'd love to hear your opinions. This chapter isn't my favorite but it is what it is I guess lol.

***

CARA

Harry and I decided to drive back to the hotel in one of the black Cadillacs that takes the boys everywhere.

All of the other boys are celebrating back in the dressing rooms, and I feel bad that Harry's stuck with me. He should be celebrating this accomplishment, this special moment.

Yet he's here consoling me because I'm weird and couldn't just talk to him earlier.

We don't say much in the car. Both of us are sitting side by side as music plays softly in the background. I fiddle with my hands, picking at the nail polish on my fingers and watching the little white flakes fall to my lap. I sigh and look out the window, the pitch black sky completely filling my line of sight.

"You were really good tonight," I tell him, awkwardly looking over at him and giving him a smile.

A small smile appears on his face and I see those cute little dimples I've always loved. "Thank you. I'm glad I got to see you out there. You looked very pretty tonight," he tells me.

"Thanks," I blush. He nods softly at me and turns his head back to the window. I do the same.

When the car stops at the hotel, we both get out and head through the building to the elevator. We stand there for a few moments before the elevator comes to our floor and we get in.

"Should we-" he pauses, looking over at me in the elevator. We're standing relatively close to one another and I can feel him sigh loudly. "Should we go to my room? Or, uh- we could go to yours, too, if that makes you more-"

"Yours is fine," I give him a soft smile. He nods at me and stares forward.

I feel awful that this is the present state of our friendship. It shouldn't be this awkward. It was just a little kiss.

But I think we both know it wasn't just a kiss.

The elevator stops on our floor and I get out first, walking towards his room. He follows closely behind me and I stop in front of his door. He fiddles in his pocket for his room key, eventually finding it, and unlocking the door.

He walks in first and I slowly follow behind him. He takes a seat on his bed and I pause in my stride, unsure of what to do. I decide to go sit on the couch in the corner of the room. I walk to it and sit down, crossing my legs and placing my hands in my lap. I intertwine my fingers and feel as the sweat thickens on them.

"So..." he begins.

I look around awkwardly before making eye contact with him. "So we should probably talk about everything."

"Yeah," he nods, rubbing the back of his neck.

I breathe deeply before I turn my attention back to him. "I'm sorry I ran out this morning," I tell him. He lets out a soft chuckle and shakes his head. "I wanted to talk to you, but I just couldn't in that moment."

"It's okay. I get it."

"So," I pause, tearing at more of my nail polish. It's nearly gone at this point and I mentally curse at myself for messing with it. Now I'll have to paint it all over again. I continue, "the kiss."

"Right," he shakes his head quickly. "I'm really sorry. I don't know why I did that."

"It's okay," I shake my head. "You don't have to be sorry. I didn't say 'no.'"