Chapter 16

I sit in my room alone with Bear. It was nightfall in the heavens, everything was quiet. The only thing that broke the silence was the sound of my sighs as I thought about the universe's words.

"What do I live for?"

  Hearing my words, Bear lays between my legs with his head resting on my chest. Such a big baby.

  His comforting, golden eyes seek mine, staring into the depths of my soul. It was like he was saying to me, "I live for your sake. Will you do the same for me?"

  I felt his heartbeat against my stomach. Our hearts were beating as one.

   "Come on. Let's go outside."

  The two of us exit the palace to the courtyard. We sit under the gazebo. No one was out here but us.

  We sat in silence, breathing in the cool, midnight air.

  "You are out here later than usual."

  Standing before me was the King. He held a thick, pink book in his gloved hands.

  I said nothing to him, stuffing my head back into my crossed arms.

  "I would like you to read this," his voice says. A light thump hits the table.

  Silence fills the gap between us. I never picked my head up to even look into the book.

"I do not understand why you are upset with me," he says. "Do you not cherish your gift of life?"

"What do I really have to live for? I have nothing," I reply.

"You have infinitely more than what your eyes see."

I poke my head up, looking around at the garden, effortlessly searching for a purpose of life. "Hmm...I must be blind."

"If you truly cannot see the value you are worth and the amount of love people have for you, then yes. You are blind."

"No one loves me. I have had nothing my whole life."

"Shall I give you a hint, then?"

I roll my eyes. "Give me sight, oh great one."

He holds my chin, directing my eyes right to his. Next, he turns my gaze to Bear. Then, the palace. Lastly, to the sky.

"You aren't telling anything," I scoff.

"...Open the book."

I roll my eyes, opening the dumb book laying on the table. It was a book filled with some photos.

The first one was a young child with a pink pacifier in her mouth. In her hands was a stuffed wolf plushie. My stuffed wolf plushie.

In the next one, the same child was holding onto Pegasus.

The third. The child and the King, happily together. She slept upon his chest as he held her in his arms.

Moving further into the book, the zodiac gods began appearing in more photos. All having a fun time with her. With me.

I close the book midway.

"This..." he taps the book. "...is the love you have. Why do you disregard it?"

"Why do you even care about me?"

"I claimed you as my own when you were by yourself. And I will continue to do that. You are the purpose I live."

"You've been talking with the universe, haven't you?"

"...That is correct. She has told me everything. And all I wish to do is keep you safe and happy. All you have to do is talk to me."

I get up from my seat.

"Let's go, Bear."

He whines but obediently follows my order.

"Princess..." the King whispers. "...Why are you running from me?"

I ignore him, marching back into the palace and go back to my room.

  Sitting in darkness, I fell into tears. I had nothing to cry over, but I was distressed.

  I thought over the King's words.

  Was I really running?

  No, I'm not running. I am protecting. I was protecting the gods from myself. I am a danger to everyone. Because of me, the heavens is in danger of the Dark King.

  Don't get too attached to them. They will abandon me when they finally learn.

  I lay in my bed, slowly drifting off to sleep. Bear cuddles beside me.

  I sat in darkness. Nothing but me and endless black.

  "Summer..." a pair of voices call out to me. A warm light shines behind me. There, my parents stood, holding hands like a happy couple.

  "Summer, come to us, dear."

  "Mom? Dad?"

  They extend their arms out to me. I extend one back as I slowly creep to them. Then, my footsteps grew faster, until I was dashing right for them excitedly.

  I barely touched them, and they changed instantly. The light fades and becomes darkness. "You disgrace of a child! How could be so foolish and adopt such a lowly kid like you?" They pushed me away, disappearing with a devilish laugh.

  Another ball of light appears. "Summer, I love you so much!" It was Damian. I ran to him. Like before, the light became darkness. "Such a weak little bitch! Your dead parents should be ashamed of themselves for conceiving you!" He waved his gun at my head before disappearing also.

  Person after person that I knew on Earth. All disappeared into black before I could make contact with it. They all vanished, saying how much they hate me, want to kill me, etc.

  I sat there, crying like a baby. Alone.

  Another light appeared before me.

  "Come here, Princess."

  The King bent down to my level. With a warm smile, he wipes away my tears. He held out his hand.

  He had touched me, and he didn't disappear. He remained white.

  But I refused his hand.

  "Stay out of my dreams. This isn't yours to see."

  "But it is mine to fix."

  "...Go away!"

  I woke up infuriated. Why won't he give it a rest?

  "He won't rest until you are back in his arms," the universe says.

  Of course...He knows that I could bring destruction to his kingdom. And he still even lets me live here in the heavens. What is he thinking?

  I sigh, getting up out of bed to start another day.