Chapter 18

We were lost in the strange forest. All I saw were trees, trees, and more trees. No visual of a way out.

"I guess we're stuck here until one of the gods realize we're missing..." I mutter.

Bear whines, feeling guilty of getting us in here. I pet him reassuringly. I limp on my aching foot, trying to find a way to get out of here. Bear was too little to support me, but he tried his best to keep me from falling.

Rays of sunlight shine through the tall trees to the forest floor. The forests here were like Earth, but better. Cleaner and lively. This is a place where you'd find mythical creatures 24/7.

  This felt slightly better than the garden back at the palace, wherever it was. More exciting than sitting under the gazebo.

  I explore the unknown forest. Plants and animals I have never seen before. So pretty. And also deadly, some of them.

The pain in my foot grew worse. I need to stop walking on it, but I didn't have a choice.

  Walking aimlessly through the area, we rest by a large waterfall. The water was surprisingly very clean. Bear willingly drinks from the calm, flowing river.

  We rest here. I take off my shoe, examining the newly developed, purple bruise on my foot. I wince in pain as my fingers lightly rub across it.

  To help ease the pain, I sink my feet in the river. The cool, gentle current brushed through my feet. It felt as if I was sitting in a spa. The water took a small portion of the aching but still could barely walk.

"...You think they know we're gone?", I whisper to Bear, in need of someone to converse with. Bear didn't bark, instead just giving me a look. "I don't think so either...They are really busy today, so it may be a while."

I sigh, leaning back with my arms supporting from behind. I pull my foot from the river, drying it with my sleeve before putting my shoe and sock back on.

"*SCREECH!!! SCREECH!!!*"

An earsplitting noise sounds in the distance. Curious, I stand to my feet flowing the loud screeches.

Bear leads the way through the thicks trees, searching for the source of all the noise.

The screeches grew louder and irritating for my own ears to bear.

At a certain point, trees and vines begin to shake violently. A beautiful phoenix, releasing a bright reddish glow, squirms in mid-air, tangled in thick, sticky vines. The legendary bird was screeching in distress, searching for assistance.

When it finally senses my presence, it calms down a bit.

"Ok, h-how am I going to..."

Those vines surrounding the phoenix were too thick to cut through. And I couldn't touch or I'd get stuck, too. The only plan I had was to use my magic. I was scared to because I might just hurt the phoenix because I'm still learning.

I position my fingers to snap.

"Cut the vines, save the bird..." I repeat in my head over and over again.

I take a deep breath and snap my fingers.

"SCREECH!!!"

Instead of freeing the bird, the vines harshly tighten.

"Ahh! Sorry! I'm sorry!"

I groan pacing around, trying to find a new plan. Maybe blast the vines?

"Err...I can't...I may just..."

Using my powers may harm the bird like before. They are too strong. Don't have much of a choice now.

"Stay still, okay?", I say to the bird. She listened, despite the intense pain she was feeling.

I position my hands inches away from the vines.

"Don't hurt the phoenix," I thought.

My hands surround themselves in blue flames. I close my eyes, shooting my arms forward to release the magic. A hard blast ring out, sending me flying backward across the forest floor.

The phoenix raises its large red and yellow wings, emitting a fiery glow. It soars around, squawking happily to finally be free again.

I did it. I used my magic without anyone being hurt.

The phoenix lands on the ground beside me.

Recalling my lucid dream from the universe, the phoenix was the exact same as this one: its blue eyes,  its beautiful glow. I guess we were destined to meet.

  The phoenix gazes at me with gentle eyes, rubbing its sharp, curved beak along my cheek. Its warmth flows through my body with every touch.

  "Hehe...You're welcome."

  Suddenly, a hard thump comes from the floor. Then another. With every thump, the trees shook. Sensing whatever is coming, Bear whimpers in fear, hiding behind me.

  I instantly stand to my feet, ready to dash. A huge black bear emerges from the trees. It's gleaming red eyes glares at three of us. Its mouth oozes thick globs of saliva; it was hungry. Hearing the phoenix's cries must've made it sound like helpless prey.

  No one moved. Until the bear roars loudly, I run for my life.

  Why am I really trying to outrun a bear?

The phoenix soars above us, lifting us off the ground with its talons. The bear claws and bites at us trying to pull us down.

  My heart races. I could pass out if I could. Instead of being in this situation, I wouldn't mind being at the palace and working as a third messenger. As long as I don't die like this!

  The bear pounces, clawing the phoenix directly on its side. She screeches, tumbling to the ground with us. Falling from several feet in the air, I topple into a thick tree. My whole body was hurting now. My ankle even more.

  I groan against the ground, my sight blurring. With my unfocused eyes, the bear creeps closer to us. The phoenix was on the ground, injured also.

  The starving bear growls. With my powers, I was going to fight. No matter how much damage it does.

  I stumble to my feet, my body glowing in blue light.

  The bear backs up a bit but was willing to fight also.

  I wasn't in the condition, but I had to stay strong.

  I extend my glowing hand, ready to attack. The bear crouched, ready to pounce.

  The bear starts the fight, charging directly at me. Before I could even attack, a flash of light sends the bear flying sideways.

  It was the phoenix. It was completely healed from the scratch. Its body burns a bright reddish-yellow like a miniature sun.

Furious, the bear stands on his hind legs. Injured and exhausted, I lean against the tree, backing out of the way of the battle with Bear.

  A bright light shines out of the nowhere. Finally, they were here. Appearing from the light was Scorpio.

  With a great fire blast, Scorpio attacks the bear, sending it dashing back from where it came.

  "Summer, you dumbass!", Scorpio shouting storming up to me. "What the hell were you thinking leaving the palace grounds?!"

  "I-I'm sorry, but I had to stop Bear from getting himself in danger."

  "And look where that gotcha? Getting eaten by a fucking bear."

  Scorpio puts me on his shoulder, knowing that I couldn't walk. He takes us back to the palace.

  "Wait, what about the—"

  "Shut the hell up."