Chapter 17

It was late at night, and I was alone in my bedroom. Bear ran off with Ichthys and Dui to go play. They wanted me to tag along, but I denied it. I needed some alone time.

Sitting on my unmade bed, I thought about everything. The universe's words. The King's words. Bear. The zodiac gods. The heavens. Earth.

What do I live for?

I have nothing to even live up to. I don't have any life goals. All I had was breath but no purpose of using it.

  "It's hard to believe this simple question makes your brain process this much," the universe says.

  "What did you expect from me...?", I whisper.

  "Shall I give you a hint then?"

  "What are you going to do, hand me another book?"

"..."

  "...I'm sorry. That was rude of me."

  Neither of us spoke afterward. It seemed like the best way to get myself together a bit. When I was at ease, I speak up again.

  "...Why do you care for me so much?"

"Do you not like it?"

  "N-No. Yes. Yes, I like you accompanying me. But I'm curious. You are probably the most powerful being alive, and you decide to talk to a lousy, unpopular, unloved human god. That doesn't match at all."

  "You catch my interest."

  "What, you see as some dumb toy?"

  "...I made a vow."

  "To who?"

  "Let's not speak of the individual, but I made a vow to watch over you."

  "But to who though? You said you only speak to me and the King."

"I guess I said too much..."

  "Please?"

  "I will not. Do not ask again."

  I slouch back on my pillows with a faint sigh. Another secret being kept from me.

  "...What am I to you?"

  "In my eyes, you are a unique child, but you are unable to see the beauty within you. You have strength, yet refuse to use it. You are very lucky to have the life you have now. Still, you don't want to live it. Instead of living with the gods happily, you prefer to be alone away from it all. You live with fear."

  I didn't say anything. What she said was all true. I was afraid. I feared for the gods' life with me living here. All I've been was a pain. The god risk their lives to keep me safe. The heavens could meet its destruction sooner or later. Earth might be next on the list. Everything that is happening is all because of me.

  "This isn't your fault, my dear. Do not beat yourself up like this."

  "It will be when the heavens get destroyed," I mutter, running my fingers through my hair.

"Back to your question...I ask the same. What am I to you?"

  "Well..." I think about it for a second. "...You're a great friend."

  "A friend, you say?"

  "Yeah. A friend. Someone I can talk to privately when I am feeling lonely. A guardian angel to help me through life when I am lost. Someone I can trust."

  She giggles. "Alright then."

  "...What do you look like?"

  "Pardon?"

  "Are you just endless space with a voice or can you turn into a person also? I wanna see."

  "I don't naturally show myself as a person but as the sky. I will grant your wish later in time."

  "Are you going to say that every time I need something?"

  "Not always. When I believe it is the right time, I will do so. Your wishes will have my immediate attention. And I shall grant them. All you have to do is be patient."

  Our conversation ends. I checked the time at it was nearly dawn. I won't be doing anything in the morning because I'll be sleeping all day.

  But I really wanted to know who would wish for my safety. My main prediction is the King, but she would've said so. Easy Peasy.

  Other than that, I was clueless.

  I ended up staying awake all night until sunrise. A bit tired, but I'll manage. Zyglavis had a lot of work to do, so there wasn't going to be training today. I was on my own today.

  I took Bear outside to get some exercise and just sat and watched. He dashes around the area, sprinting like a happy deer then dives into the grass to roll around. The gods and goddesses outside with us laugh at the careless wolf. Bear will be Bear.

A jackalope out of where hops around also, opposite from Bear's position. I didn't know they actually existed.

The jackalope calming picks at the grass, enjoying its healthy breakfast. Its golden brown fur looks incredibly soft. It was tempting to not touch.

Bear barks loudly, alerting the innocent rabbit. Startled, it dashes away further down the garden. Bear runs after it.

"Ah! Bear, wait! Don't!"

I dash after them.

Both animals were quick. It was hard for me to keep up, but I tried.

The rabbit made twists and turns trying to lose Bear, but he was still right on its tail. "Bear! Stop! You're going too far!"

Without concern, they exceed the palace grounds. Without a choice, I go after them.

The palace shrinks off into the distance, but Bear and the jackalope remain in my sight. I pant for air, but I couldn't slow down. I run faster.

The rabbit dashes into a forest. Bear runs in along with it. I go after them. With all of the trees, bushes, and vines. It was hard to maneuver through the forest. Bear grew further ahead.

"Bear! Stop! Plea—Ahh!"

I trip over a thick tree root, growing out of the forest floor. A sharp pain rises in my foot as I fall to the ground, scratching my leg against a bunch of sticks and twigs.

Finally hearing my painful cries, Bear dashes back to me.

The cuts on the side of my leg begin to bleed. Apologetically, Bear licks my wound clean. My foot hurt too much for me to walk, so I limp.

I support myself on a tree to stand. Looking around, I had no clue where we came. We were lost.