Chapter 20

I had suddenly broke into a high fever, worst than before. My guess was that I must've caught something back from the forest. It was like I was laying on a bed of lava. My body was aching so much I thought I was slowly dying. Had nearly thrown off every piece of fabric off my bed and was still roasting in heat.

  Bear alerted one of the gods again. This time it was Tauxolouve. He got me an ice pack and a cold towel, putting them on my head and neck.

  None of it was really helping. He left me to rest and went to tell the other gods.

  I sit in darkness, groaning in agony. Bear snuggled next to me, but he was still giving off heat. I put him in the chair instead. I was laying in bed, nearing naked with an undershirt and women's boy shorts. It was so freakin' hot!

  A god checked on me every few hours. No progress in getting better whatsoever. They refreshed my ice pack and towel, brought me some holy water, and checked my temperature making sure it doesn't get too high.

  As hours passed, nothing had changed. My body was extremely limp.

  Around sunset, Teorus took Bear to let him run around outside.

  I was alone now.

  My fever lightly subsided. But a sharp pain erupts in my chest.

  "U-Ugh....Err..." I groan.

  The room suddenly darkened.

  A thin, red light glistens from my stomach, right where that arrow shot me. As it glows, my pain grew. I stumble from my bed, groaning in agony against the cold walls.

  A faint, devilish laugh rings in my ears. I shivered.

  "Hmm, a measly child. This will be a piece of cake," the dark voice says.

  The red glow fades away. I was shaking, unable to think or move.

  "W-Who are you! Show yourself! I'm not afraid!", I shout.

"You've been living in fear your entire worthless life. What chance do have against me?"

  A dark figure forms on the wall across the room. It's shape forms into a girl. Similar to me. The shadow steps off the wall and creeps up to me at a slow, eerie pace. I jolt, scrambling off my weak knees to the door. A strong force pulls me back in mid-air, and I go crashing into the wall. The door locks on its own.

"W-W-Who...W-What are you?", I mutter.

"If you won't be such a buzzkill, we may just call ourselves 'acquaintances'."

I crawl back to the wall, nowhere really left to go. "I have powers! Don't think I am afraid to use them!", I spat at the demon.

"And carelessly destroy this lovely foundation. Oh dear, I think not. Imagine the cruelty the owner of this castle will put upon you. Ooh, I can already see your pathetic self imprisoned and weak, and putting the remainder of your short, delicate life to work to rebuild this entire palace. Such an unfortunate fate."

The demon version of myself stands above me, peering down with its bloodshot eyes and dead, black pupils.

"What do you want from me?"

"Oh, not much. Just want to feed on those delicious fears of yours. If not this, then I'll happily snatch your soul and take my leave."

The demon kneels down to my level, piercing my soul with its fearful eyes. With its power, my body becomes paralyzed. It swiftly enters my body.

My body was attacked with chills. I didn't feel alone in my body anymore.

"Ooh, cozy," it says in my head. "Oh-ho, this will be fun."

"What you doing to me?!"

"Hehe, let's put this way. The Dark King is giving you this only chance to live. Either you choose to die now or later as the heavens become ruin. Either way you choose, the heavens will still face destruction.

Why does it always have to be me?

On behalf of the heavens, I didn't complain. He can have my life whenever. I shut up, sulking against the wall helplessly. Everyone will die. And I can't do anything about it.

"Good girl. And dare to try to even spill any information about this, prepare to watch every last person you ever loved die right now."

I sob, stuffing my head between my legs. Curse you, Dark King. So heartless. I don't even want to see you before I die.

Even with my fever being gone, I didn't feel any better. I sulk on the floor as the demon within me laughs at my despair.

Teo and Bear come back, but I never got up to unlock the door. "Go away!", I shout.

  "Is everything okay, Summer—"

  "I said go away! Take Bear with you!"

  I heard Bear's tiny whine from outside. Teo's footsteps grew distant from the door. Bear didn't go anywhere. He stood there, sniffing under the door.

  I cry myself to sleep, silently wishing for help.

  King. Leon. Zyglavis. Partheno. Ichthys. Universe. Bear. Somebody, help me!