THE GALA

To Love and to Love Again Chapter 18: The Gala

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER AND AUTHORS NOTE: I do NOT own Naruto. The awesomeness of the Naruto Manga and World is the creation of Masashi Kishimoto. This is Purely Fanfiction. All things Medical in this entire fanfiction should not be taken as serious medical advice or facts. PLEASE CONSULT AN ACTUAL DOCTOR FOR ANY MEDICAL INFORMATION/QUESTIONS. THANK YOU AND ENJOY!

Shikamaru was sleeping soundly in his bed. After practically working through the night with Itachi over the investigation, he felt like he could sleep for days, however he was married to Ino and sleep was never guaranteed with her.

"Shika," whispered Ino. "You awake?" She carefully turned over to him. The twins were both sleeping in their bed tonight. They never really liked to sleep in unfamiliar places. Shikamaru sighed.

"No," he mumbled. Ino rolled her eyes.

"I feel guilty," she admitted. "Sakura's my best friend. I know she's going to find out. One way or the other, she'll find out and when she does, it's not going to be pretty."

Shikamaru didn't open his eyes, but he spoke anyway. "If Sakura finds out, then that will be a problem, but there's nothing for you to feel guilty about."

Ino didn't agree. "We're lying to her. All of us are lying to her. Practically everyone she knows is living a secret life that she doesn't know about. She thinks I'm a Dance Instructor."

"You are a dance instructor."

"But I wasn't always," she responded. "The only reason why I stepped down as a Field Agent from the CIA was because I got pregnant with the twins, but I'm still the CIA's Agricultural Botanist."

"You have nothing to worry about," he repeated. "It's for her protection. There's no other way around it. Now go to sleep." Ino sighed and closed her eyes. Indeed it was for her own protection, but she knew that secrets had a way of coming out.

How would Sakura react if she found out who Sai really was?

"No," Anko growled as she faced Kakashi in his office. He was holding up a very chic black evening gown in front of her.

"Come on now. You can't come to the Gala dressed like that," he said looking over her appearance. He held the dress out in front of her face. "Besides… I've never seen you in a dress."

"This is borderline harassment," she huffed as she eyed the dress with distaste. "And I'm assuming that the completely backless part was your idea?"

Kakashi just looked at it innocently. "You could use the time to enhance your femininity. Backless dresses are tasteful and elegant in today's society. Either way, you have to wear a dress." When he saw the steel in her eyes, he added "Either you pick this one, or we can spend hours picking out more from the undercover department.

Anko glared. Being the tomboy that she was, she hated shopping with a passion. Shopping with your closet-pervert of a boss would be even worse.

"Give me that," she snapped, taking the dress from him. She was so not looking forward to this "Gala" thing. She turned the dress around and sneered at the back side of it. It was definitely going to be form fitting. "Don't get used to this. Not only do I have to wear a damn dress, but I have to act like your secretary as well."

"That's all on you," he said bringing out his favorite book from his coat pocket. "You didn't have to tell Sakura that you were my secretary."

Anko flung the dress over her shoulder. "Should I have told her about our real affiliation?"