Drinking is fun

Lena heard the ringing of her phone and hoped that the person would hang up. The phone eventually stopped ringing only to be followed by another call. Lena groaned and picked up the phone.

"LENA. IS SHE WITH YOU?"

"She doesn't want to talk to you right now Alex give her space."

"I just I need to talk to her."

"No Alex, you hurt her. I haven't seen her this broken since Eli- for a long time. Give her space."

"Please Lena. I need to see her I need to apologise."

"I was rooting for you Alex. You broke her. Don't call her or me. She won't be coming into the DEO for a while, she'll work with me at L-Corp until she's ready. She needs time and space."

"I love her Lena. I do."

"If you truly do then give her space."

"Just tell her that I'm sorry and I love her."

"Okay. Goodbye Alex"

Chris woke up to the sound of Lena's phone ringing, her super hearing increased with her hangover, she knew it would be Alex, she listened in on the call and her heart broke even more. She began crying into her pillow, she eventually stopped crying and got another bottle of alcohol from Lena's kitchen. She stumbled her way back into the guest room and drank the alcohol from the bottle, Lena stood at the doorway of the room and looked at her sister. She cleared her throat and spoke.

"You know that bottle costs $200?"

"I'll pay you back"

"Shut up and give me the bottle"

Chris hesitatingly gave her the bottle, Lena took the bottle and drank a sip.

"I take it you heard the call?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to listen it's just, it's her"

"Yeah, I know"

"I had a dream about Eliza last night."

Lena looked at her with concerning eyes telling her to continue.

"It was the day I proposed, and you remember I took her to one of my games and I asked her to sit in the front. And after the game we won, and I had already told the stadium my plans, so they gave me a mic and I called her out and I asked her to marry me in the middle of the stadium." Tears fell down Chris's face as she recalled what used to be a happy memory, "then we were alone we were walking through the road, the road she died on. And someone came up to her and they stabbed her, they did it 10 times, the exact same places in real life, Lee I just stood there and watched her gasp for breath and she called my name, she called for me to help. She needed me and I wasn't there for her" Chris began crying heavily and dug her head into Lena's shoulder. Lena let her sister cry, she knew that no word could comfort her right now and the best thing for her to do was cry.

"I - I thought I could have someone like her again, I tried to replace her. I don't deserve Alex, she deserves happiness and a full life. Lee please tell her I want her to be happy, I know she can't have that with me but she deserves it. Tell her she was right to go back to Maggie and that I'm happy for her but I'll take time."

"Chris. You deserve so much more, you deserve the universe. You didn't try to replace Eliza, she would have wanted you to be happy with someone you love. And Chris you were happy, you were so happy with Alex."

"Just tell her Lee" Chris took the bottle of Lena and began to drink it again. Lena walked out of the room she called Jess to see if she was needed in today and unfortunately she was. She told Chris she would be back soon and made her way to L-corp.

•••

When Lena arrived at L-Corp she had one of the Danvers sisters to greet her in her office.

"Please Lena I need to see her."

"Alex she's hurt, she's drinking and she's heartbroken. Please leave her alone. She may act tough but she's fragile."

"Whose Eli"

"What?"

"On the call you said 'i haven't seen her this broken since Eli-"

"Oh, that's not my story. I'm sorry."

"It's her ex isn't it, Veronica told me at the gala, she said that Chris had mourned a love before."

"Eliza"

"What?"

"Her name was Eliza. It's why she acted weird when you had the potsticker challenge, you said Eliza and she thought you meant her."

"What happened?"

"She died. And Chris blames herself, she doesn't think she's worthy enough for love, she told me to tell you that she wants you to be happy and you were right to go back to Maggie."

"She's more than worthy for love, she deserves everything, I was happy with her, I was the happiest I've ever been. I threw it all away didn't I?" Alex came into a realisation and began to sit on the couch in Lena's office.

"She's the girl of my dreams and I made a drunk mistake. I'm sorry Lena I'm so sorry. I have to go."

Alex rushed out of the office and made her way to the DEO. She entered the boxing area and didn't even bother to put the gloves on or even tape. She started punching the bag releasing her anger and frustration she had at herself.

"Easy there Danvers, don't want to hurt yourself"

"Go away Maggie"

"No need to be rude, I just came to see how you're doing?"

"IM DOING FUCKING AMAZING NOW CAN YOU LEAVE."

"Come here."

"I SAID LEAVE."

"I will once you have tape on your hands. You kind of need your hands Alex."

Alex gave in and let Maggie put tape on her hands. She sat down and started crying. She rested her head on Maggie's shoulder and saw a figure walk in. The person was evidently drunk but in pain.

"Sorry I was just looking for Kara"

She walked off and Alex ran after her.

"CHRIS. It isn't what it looks like."

Chris turned around and Alex saw how broken she was, her eyes were bloodshot red, her cheeks were pale but stained from tears, her hair didn't have it's natural flow but was placed into a messy bun.  Her right hand clutched a bottle of whiskey and her left hand held her coat tight so her knuckles went pale.

"It's okay Alex, you deserve her. Go and be happy, I'm just glad I was able to fill a void for you, goodbye Alex I love you."

Chris walked away and Alex fell to her knees. "I love you too."