4)Taking One for the Team

I manage to go four whole days without coming closer than twelve feet from Jace

I manage to go four whole days without coming closer than twelve feet from Jace. Every time I hear his voice in the halls or catch a glimpse of his tall tattooed figure, I turn around and go the other way. I haven't even gone to my locker, opting to switch out my usual small messenger bag for a huge backpack to lug around all my books. Even in the one class we share, I've been lucky enough to score a seat far away from him, but that doesn't stop him from boring holes into the back of my head the entire time.

I told him staying away would be the easiest thing in the world, and though technically I was wrong, it's not nearly that easy, I'll be damned if I'm gonna give up anytime soon.

"You going to Brandy White's party tomorrow?" Marcel asks as he makes a right onto Caleb's street.

It's Friday, finally. I can spend the next couple days relaxing and not having to worry about walking the long way to class or staying on guard while I eat my lunch in the library. Ava's already suggested, more than once, that I might be going overboard in my mission to avoid my ex, but I'm so invested now I'd feel crazier for giving up at this point.

"Lex?"

"Huh?" I look over at Marcel. "What was that?"

A sly grin pulls at the corner of his mouth. "I asked if you're going to Brandy White's party tomorrow."

"Oh...yeah. Ava talked me into it this morning."

And by "talked me into it", I mean she insisted and wouldn't take no for an answer.

There's nothing Ava loves more than parties, boys, and boys at parties.

"Good." Marcel nods, pulling up in front of Caleb's house. "A party could be just what you need. You've been kinda tense all week."

That might just be the understatement of the year.

"Yeah, you could say that."

With a sigh, Marcel turns off the jeep. "You gonna tell me what's going on with you, or am I gonna have to start asking around?"

Damnit.

I haven't told anyone about the conversation I had with Jace. Telling them that my ex let me believe he slept with someone just so I'd go away makes me feel pathetic. It is pathetic. Most people get dumped and move on but not me.

Oh, no.

I had to talk to him one last time. My desperate, pathetic ass just couldn't let go. And I don't want them to know that. I don't want them to look at me and see that girl.

Marcel clears his throat, clearly waiting for me to say something. So I give him a tiny portion of what's been bothering me all week.

"Jace wants us to move on and be friends."

A snort sounds from beside.

"What the hell was that?" I look at Marcel and see him biting back a grin. "Go on. What's so funny?"