44)Spelling It Out

My plan to talk to Derek by the end of the day was quickly snuffed out

My plan to talk to Derek by the end of the day was quickly snuffed out. The conniving coward had left school after our little spat, making my job so much harder to do now.

Throughout the day I'm left on edge, stressing a plan I don't fully have while also eagerly waiting for the final bells to ring. It doesn't help my nerves any that the rest of our little makeshift band of prospects, girlfriends, and acquaintances are also buzzing with nervous energy.

Marcel and Roman receive text instructions to keep their heads down while also staying watchful of me and Josie. As for the fiery redhead, she's more pissed than I was when I first saw Derek in the hall. For his sake, he's lucky he left school early. Pretty sure she's more than ready to rip his head off herself. Plus the fact that none of the guys left her with the same instructions as the other prospects doesn't help matters.

"I'm one of them!" She shouts at lunch, pacing in front of the picnic bench we claimed outside the cafeteria. Nevermind the fact this isn't her lunch period or that she's supposed to be in class right now. "It doesn't matter that I don't have a fucking mentor yet. I should be treated the same as Marcel and Roman."

Both of the boys mentioned sit on the tabletop and quietly eat their food. Neither willing to interrupt Jo's tirade and risk being the next source of her frustration.

"I'm sure it was just an oversight. Kade being protective and all that," I try to reason.

Josie laughs humorlessly. "Oh, I have no doubt Kade is behind this."

To the right of me, Ava's hand pauses halfway to her mouth, clutching a forkful of pasta. "I'm confused. You're a prospect too?"

"Yes!" Josie shouts, making Ava jump and drop her fork. Cringing, at herself, Jo takes a deep breath. "Sorry, didn't mean to snap at you, Ava. I know you're new to this."

Ava reclaims her utensil and shrugs, no more put out at Josie's venting than the rest of us.

I can sympathize with Josie though. She's pissed because Kade is trying to protect her when she wants to be a working part of this complicated machine. It's not much different than me trying to take ownership of the drugs found in my locker to help Jace. I don't want to sit on the sidelines and wait for someone else to do something. I want to help.

And you will, as soon as you talk to Derek and Caleb.

"Did I miss something?" an unfamiliar female voice asks from behind us.

The five of us all turn at once to find the same girl I saw hanging out with Dolly at Thanksgiving, Travis's sister. Until now, I've completely forgotten that she's a prospect too, but it makes sense. Even if she's technically a part of things, Travis doesn't want her involved. That's why she wasn't with us this morning or why she's looking at us with confusion in her light green eyes.

"Rae," Jo calls softly, shock and realization filling her face at the same time. "Shouldn't you be in class?"

"Shouldn't you?" Rae fires back, flipping her dirty blonde hair over her shoulder and crossing her arms.