43)The Setup

Mondays are normally the worse day of the week

Mondays are normally the worse day of the week. Then there are Mondays like today. I wake up with a text from my boyfriend that instantly puts a smile on my face.

Jace: Morning, beautiful. Can't wait to see you. BTW, I'm giving you a ride to school. Be ready for me. 😉

I don't even bother arguing. I may love my car but there's nothing like riding on the back of Jace's bike.

After getting dressed and eating breakfast, Jace shows up as promised. The ride to school is amazing but what's even better is the feeling I get when we pull into the parking lot. It's like there's a new buzz of energy between us. Last time we were here, we were friends...sort of. But now we're together.

I can't explain how good that feels. Probably like a giddy kid about to walk into Disneyland for the first time. Or like a Batman fan attending their first comic-con. I don't know, it's just...amazing.

The second we climb off of Jace's bike he's slipping off his leather jacket and handing it to me with a spark in his eyes.

"What's this for?" I ask, gingerly taking the jacket from him.

He rolls his eyes. "For you to wear."

I open my mouth to question him further when Josie skips over, having just gotten off of Kade's bike. She pats me on the back and smirks. "He's staking a claim in front of the school. His jacket on his girl sends a message to the male population."

"Exactly." Jace points at her and nods, not an ounce of shame in his blatant display of alpha-asshole-antics.

"Seriously?" I raise a brow at him, biting back a smile.

Okay, so maybe I'm enjoying this. So what if it's some crazy display of telling everyone I'm off-limits. Maybe I like knowing that he cares enough to make that claim. Lord knows I would if I had a way to do it. Though I'm sure the faint claw marks on his neck that still haven't fully healed should do the trick.

"If you don't like it, I can always just put this on display," Jace says as he tugs on the collar of my shirt just enough to show the bite mark he left a few days ago.

Josie's mouth falls open. "Holy shit!" Her surprise turns to rage as she punches Jace in the shoulder. "Don't do that! With her fair skin, she's gonna be bruised for weeks, asshole!"

"Who's gonna be bruised for weeks?" Marcel asks, walking over with Ava who was lucky enough to borrow her mom's car today since Jace insisted I ride with him.

I quickly fix my shirt, hiding the bite mark and slipping into Jace's jacket. "No one."

Marcel narrows his eyes at Jace. "Just 'cause you're my mentor now doesn't mean I won't kick your ass if you hurt my sister."

"I didn't do anything," Jace throws his hands up like he's exasperated by the whole conversation.

Jo crosses her arms and shoots him a look. "Mmhmm."