8)I'll Haunt Your Ass

"Fucking hell, Lex

"Fucking hell, Lex. You're gonna rip my shirt off!"

"Like you'd complain any other time," I snark, fisting the back of Jace's shirt like my life depends on it.

Turns out tipsy Lexi doesn't listen very well. The second Jace opened the bedroom door to inspect the shouting, I grabbed his shirt.

I panicked. Sue me!

Now he's stuck with one foot out the door. Sure, he could free himself easily. It's not like I have enough strength to actually keep him here, but even vocally complaining, I think he's enjoying it. I'm almost positive I saw him smirk before he started yelling about his t-shirt.

Like he can't go buy another ten-pack of plain black t's at the store!

"You gotta let me go if you wanna know what's going on." He slightly tugs, testing my grip.

"What if I don't wanna know?"

"Lexi!"

"Fine!" I let go. "But I swear to fucking God, Jace, if you leave me up here to die, I will haunt your ass for the rest of your days!"

Looking back at me, his eyebrows pinch together like he's staring at a puzzle that's too difficult for him to figure out. He opens his mouth to say something but quickly shuts it and shakes his head as another high pitch scream rings through the house.

"I'll be back. Just stay here!" He doesn't give me a chance to reply before running out the door.

Who made him the boss?

My drunken stubbornness knows no bounds tonight. Instead of shutting the door and waiting in the room like a good girl, I poke my head out and watch Jace run down the hall. As he reaches the corner that heads towards the stairs, he stops. With growing eyes, he starts to backpedal my way before breaking out into a full sprint.

He pins me with a stare mid stride. "Open a window! It's a fire!"

What the fuck!

I duck back into the room and run to the nearest window, unlatching it before pushing it open.

This can't be happening. How the hell does a fire start at a part? What, did some idiot try to make smores over the gas stove while drunk? Did a horny couple light some candles while they screwed in the basement and knocked them onto a pile of laundry?

Shit like this doesn't just happen.

Okay, I'm sure there are firefighters that would love to debate that thought, but it just feels so unreal.

The bedroom door slams behind me and I look over in time to see Jace rushing towards me.

"I didn't smell anything burning." I'm trying to rationalize.

If something burns, it smells. No smell, no burn, no fire.

He grabs the window, looking down at me with a steel resolve. "Doesn't change the fact the entire first floor is filled with fucking smoke."