12)Fish and Frostbite

Alexis: Hey

Alexis: Hey

Alexis: How's it going?

Alexis: Jace?

Alexis: Can we please talk about last night? 

"Stop texting him," Ava groans from across the tiny shop.

"I'm not."

"Mmhmm."

I flick through the rack of overpriced costumes, only half paying attention to the various slutty versions of nuns, witches, vampires, fish...wait. Slutty fish?

Shaking my head, I look down at my phone for the millionth time.

Jace hasn't answered any of my texts since I left him by the Ferris wheel. The look on his face before I chased after Caleb has been taunting me all day. He looked almost...hurt.

"You wouldn't understand. I don't just abandon my friends." Those words keep spinning in my head. My words. My fucking dumb accusing words.

No wonder he won't talk to me.

What I said was out of line. According to Caleb, Jace never ditched him. There was no friendship to even abandon.

I still don't get it, and much like Jace, Caleb isn't really talking to me right now either. Not a lot anyway.

"Let him stew in his own idiocy," Ava advises, coming over to look at the costumes near me.

"He wasn't the idiot. I was."

"Then apologize."

I would if he would talk to me.

"Or...."Ava snatches a garment. "Make him come to you."

She holds up a sexy Little Red Riding Hood costume and bounces her eyebrows suggestively.

With the cheer team's yearly Halloween party next weekend, Ava thought we should get costumes before all the good ones are taken. However, I'm not sure this one's for me. There's just something about a bustier and thigh-high garter socks that scream, 'where's the bedroom!'

"We're just friends, A."

"So." She shrugs. "Friends are allowed to think other friends are attractive. Hell, Caleb's fucking hot."

Tilting my head to the side, I arch a brow at her.

"What? He is, and as his friend, I am allowed to notice."

She's not wrong. Caleb is good looking, but it's hard for me to look past the 'friend' part.

She shakes the costume in front of me again. It's not bad. More covered than the fish, surprisingly, and it comes with a long enough cloak to keep me warm if it got cold.

Should I or shouldn't I?

Rolling my eyes, I take the costume from Ava as she beams her biggest, brightest smile at me.