7)Tipsy Lexi

I take one last look in the mirror, double-checking my makeup, hair, and clothes for tonight

Winged eyeliner with some natural foundation and dusty rose lipstick? Check. Black mini skirt, maroon lace crop-top, and my favorite leather boots? Yup. Taming my wavy brown hair into soft simple curls? Well...it's as good as it's gonna get.

I'm half tempted to create a mental checklist too. Ava's been texting about the party non-fucking-stop all day and nonchalantly let it slip that overly-perky cheer captain Brandy White included our new West Count classmates when inviting people. I shouldn't be surprised, of course she'd invite the entire school, she always does. But since finding this out, I've been second-guessing everything; clothes, makeup, the health of my sanity, and patience for dealing with any extra bullshit.

"You can't dodge me for long." Jace's words echo in my head for the third time today.

I huff at the mirror. Jace is right; I can't keep trying to avoid him. If I ran every time there was a chance of bumping into him somewhere, I'd miss out on a lot; school games, dances, classes, and parties are just the first four to come to mind.

I shake my head at my reflection. I'm not doing that to myself.

Slipping my phone in my bra and grabbing my tiny handbag, that will most likely get left in Caleb's truck, I head downstairs. He's supposed to be here soon so we can head to the party together. Marcel's getting Ava. They already texted to say they are running late since A is in the middle of trying on a hundred different outfits.

I walk into the kitchen to grab my house keys and stop in my tracks at the sight of my mom sitting at the kitchen table. Her laptop glows in front of her, illuminating the chestnut strands that have come loose from her messy bun and hang in her face. The light casts shadows on her face, making the bags under her eyes seem darker and bigger than the last time I saw her.

With a glass of red wine in her hand, she looks up and smiles softly. "Hey, honey."

God, she looks exhausted.

"Hey, Mom." I wave and head to the key holder along the wall. "I didn't know you were home yet."

A long and weary sigh leaves her lips. "Yeah, I just got in not that long ago. I think you were in the shower."

I nod, walking over to take a seat in front of her. "Feels like it's the first time I've seen you in weeks."

"I know, honey." Her face pinches together with guilt making the bags under her eyes more pronounced as she reaches her hands across the table and places them on mine. "I'm so sorry. Hours at the hospital have been crazy and us nurses are so under-staffed. Most of us have been pulling swing shifts just to try and make up for it."

It's hard to be upset with my mom. What she does is a noble profession that not everyone's cut out for but what we need so many of. She literally saves lives. I've always been proud of her; she's a hero.