13)Creating a Monster

My phone pings, the high pitch noise disturbing my peaceful sleep

My phone pings, the high pitch noise disturbing my peaceful sleep. With a groan, I roll over, ignoring the offensive object on my nightstand.

Just as I'm drifting to sleep, my phone goes off again, louder and more persistent than before. Rolling back around, I snatch it and look at the screen.

Jace: Lexi

Jace: Lex, you awake?

I should've known.

Alexis: Am now.

Jace: I can't sleep. Talk to me.

Alexis: It's 2 am.

Jace: Your point?

Alexis: You should be asleep dreaming about...whatever it is you dream about.

My brain's too tired for words. Perfect.

Jace: Why dream about you when I can talk to the real thing?

Okay, maybe I'm a bit more awake now.

With a stupid smile on my face, I type out a message, delete it, try again, delete it.

Damn it. Why does this have to be so confusing?

Even if I was wide awake, I'd still have trouble thinking of what to say. He could be serious, or he could be fucking with me.

Alexis: I may be half asleep but I'm pretty sure you're flirting with me, Mr. Hall.

Jace: Mmm Mr. Hall. I like the sound of that.

As I read, my mind conjures his voice; deep, gravelly, and thick with a mixture of exhaustion and something that sends chills down my spine.

Alexis: Ok now I know you're flirting.

Jace: And what if I am?

My pulse quickens.

Nope, I can't do this. Not right now. I'm not prepared.

Alexis: I'm going back to bed.

Jace: Come oonnn

Alexis: I'm too tired to play games tonight, Jace.

My emotions can't take it.

From his sweet behavior at the fair to his anger, his cold shoulder, and then back to normal again. Now he wants to try flirty, and out of all the many sides of Jace, this one scares me the most.

Jace: No games then.

Alexis: ?

Jace: What do you dream about?

You.

Alexis: I don't.

Jace: Bullshit. You were dreaming when you slept over here.