47)A Show of Power

All-day long I'm on fucking edge

All-day long I'm on fucking edge. Lexi's plan is risky as hell but it's more than that.

I've never been painted as a guy who would intentionally hurt a woman, and even though I know Lexi doesn't actually see our mark of passion as anything negative, just the idea that she has to present it that way makes me feel sick. The painful fucking churning in my gut alone is enough to have me considering taking it easy next time we're alone.

"Ayo, earth to Jace!" Wild's shouting catches my attention.

Leaning on my bike with my elbows propped on the passenger seat, I crane my neck back to see the guys walking my way. Eddie breezes ahead of the group, arms wide as he turns in a complete circle.

Smiling wide, he hooks a thumb over his shoulder. "Check it, hermano, I'm all official and shit now."

The Guardians' emblem, a knight's shield with two swords crossing behind it and a helmet balanced on top, is displayed loud and proud on the back of his new black leather jacket. But instead of the traditional "Guardians" curved around the top and "West County" curved at the bottom, Eddie's jacket simply says "Guardians Prospect" beneath the shield. The design looks good and the jacket even has the sweatshirt style hood that the official members' jackets do. It's definitely a hell of a lot better than the worn-out plain leathers we were given as prospects.

"Ain't this some shit?" Wilder asks once they reach me, his jaw hanging open with fake shock. "The newbies are getting way nicer leathers than we did when we joined up."

Kade playfully slaps Wild in the back of the head. "Quit complaining. Your jacket's brand new and fully patched."

"I know." Wild rubs his head and glares at Kade. "My shits way nicer now. I'm talking about before."

My cousin rolls his eyes at the nutcase and tips his head in my direction. "What'dya think?"

"Looks good." I nod, sitting up. "But why the new gear for the prospects? What you got planned, cus? Why are we here?"

There's no reason for us to be anywhere other than the West Side and yet here we fucking are, meeting in the parking lot of a mini-mart two blocks from the school. Knowing that Lexi is just a two-minute drive away keeps me from complaining, but I know my cousin. He wouldn't bring us here without a reason.

"Show of power." Kade grins like a fucking cartoon villain, only to have the look wasted when Travis speaks next.

"At the mini-mart?"

Wilder snorts and even Eddie turns away to chuckle, but Kade shoots Travis a look that asks, 'are you fucking serious?'

Travis rolls his eyes, his mouth pinching to the side with irritation. "Don't. I'm functioning on less than an hour of sleep right now."

"What's your excuse every other day?" Wild quips but bites back his laughter when Kade shoots him a pointed look too.

Same shit, different day, but at least these nut jobs keep shit entertaining.