34)Trust Issues

Something's shifted with us

Something's shifted with us. I was too tired to notice yesterday, but waking up this morning, it's clear that this thing between me and Jace has changed. It's grown in the most complicatedly wonderful way.

While we dress for school and eat breakfast, I catch Jace watching me with an intense warmth that fills my stomach with butterflies. Every time it happens my face heats up and then he flashes me one of those gorgeously crooked smiles. Maybe it's from the wicked things we did to each other at the party, but I get a sense it goes deeper than that. We weren't just open physically but emotionally. I've never felt something so intimate in my life.

That has to be it.

Jace helps carry my backpack downstairs for me and tosses it in the back of my car.

"You gonna pick up Marcel?"

Opening the driver's side door, I nod. "Yeah. It's gonna be a little while before he can get a new set of wheels, so now I get to drive him. I don't mind though, he always gave me a ride when I needed it."

Jace wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me against him. Brushing his lips against mine, he grins. "I wish you were riding with me."

Me too.

"No, you wish I was riding you," I correct teasingly.

His eyes become hooded as a sinful groan rumbles in his chest. "I think I've been a bad influence on you, sweetheart. You're starting to sound like me."

"You love it," I whisper.

"Fuck yeah, I do." Jace grabs the back of my neck and captures my mouth with his.

It's a heated kiss that has fire licking across my skin, but it doesn't last long.

Pulling away, I step towards my car again. "I'll see you at school, baby."

His sapphire eyes flash with desire at the term of endearment, reminding me how much he enjoys hearing me call him that. "I'll be waiting for you out front. Don't take too long and make me come looking for you."

Sitting behind the steering wheel, I smirk at him and slip my sunglasses on. "You know I love a good chase."

Groaning again, Jace throws his head back and sulks to his bike. Teasing him is so much fun. I'm starting to get why he does it to me all the time.

 I'm starting to get why he does it to me all the time