30)Kidnapped

Waking up to the soft sounds of Jace sleeping, a smile spreads wide across my face

Waking up to the soft sounds of Jace sleeping, a smile spreads wide across my face. I wanted to start my birthday in his arms and he made it happen. Those strong tattooed limbs hug me tightly to his bare chest, rising and falling with his every breath.

Careful not to wake him, I tilt my head back to look at his peaceful chiseled face. The cut on his cheek is fully closed and already starting to fade. He'll still have a scar but it makes him look more rugged than he already is, just like the light stubble peppering his jaw. Everything about this guy is masculine, tough, and oh so tempting.

It feels like I should pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. I never thought I'd be here, next to him, in his bed, being held like a precious part of his life.

Then again, maybe my half-awake mind is reading too much into things.

No, stop that. No self-doubt today!

Taking a calming breath, I let my hands glide over Jace's firm pecs, relishing in the feel of his body beneath my fingertips. As they slide upwards, I find the necklace I got him still hung around his neck, the silver sword resting on his chest. Remembering the words he said last night and the way he looked at me when I gave him his gift warms my heart. I hoped he would like it, but I didn't think he'd like it that much.

"Morning, sweetheart."

I drag my eyes from the shimmering sword between my fingers to look up at the half-mast blue pools gazing down at me.

Oh, yeah. This is the best way to start the day.

"Morning." I smile and prop my head up. "Sleep well?"

"Fuck yeah," he rasps, stretching out an arm while tightening his grip on me with the other.

"Good, but you're gonna have to let me go. I gotta get ready for school."

I struggle against his grip but he doesn't budge.

With a mischievous grin, Jace shrugs. "Might be a little late for that, baby."

My body stills as my eyes grow wide. Frantically, I jerk my head to look at the alarm clock.

"It's ten!" I shout and wiggle harder to get free from Jace's grasp. "What the fuck happened to the alarm?"

The hint of a grimace pulls at Jace's face. "I turned it off."

"What!" My screeching voice echos through the apartment making Jace wince and drop his hold on me.

I seize the opportunity and roll off the bed. Rushing around the room, I scramble to grab some clothes but by the time I have everything bundled in my arms and attempt to leave the room, I find Jace already standing in front of the closed door.

"Move!" I demand with narrowed eyes.

Crossing his arms over his bare chest, Jace's lips twitch as he fights back a smile. "No, baby. You've already missed the first few hours, and it's your birthday. So you're gonna play hooky with me." He steps towards me with a dangerous glint in his hypnotizing eyes. "Now, calm your sexy ass down before I throw you back in the bed and make you forget your own fucking name."