11)Just The Four Of Us

The week went by fast, much to the relief of every student at F

The week went by fast, much to the relief of every student at F.H.S. Every student but one that is. Derek's been MIA, saved from boring classes, and excessive homework.

Last time I saw Derek was at the party a week ago. Had I actually returned to him after my bathroom break, I probably would've heard about his trip with his dad to visit one of the colleges he received early acceptance to. Instead, he texted me about it Monday morning as they were leaving.

He spent the week sending me pictures of the campus and different fun activities. As for me, I spent the week trying to figure out how to tell him about me and Jace.

Every time I type out an explanation, I think about Caleb's reaction and delete the text. Derek's not gonna be happy to learn about my newfound friendship with my ex. No matter how I word it.

Caleb's been missing a lot too this week. Anytime Jace is around Caleb makes an excuse to take off. I don't get how two people who used to be as close as brothers can hate each other so much. Caleb doesn't talk about it which leaves me to assume the bad blood is from Jace ghosting their friendship.

Everyone's felt the tension this week, the strain each time Caleb disappears. Ava normally goes with him so he's not alone, but I miss the four of us.

The only thing that kept my mind off of everything was Jace and his friends. They're insane, keeping Marcel and I laughing every day at lunch.

But after a week of barely seeing Caleb and Ava, I decided we all needed a night out, just the four of us. At this time of year, there's no better place to go than the annual autumn fair.

It's Friday so it won't be crazily crowded like it is on Saturdays.

The four of us are crammed into Marcel's jeep, with the soft top off and the radio blaring.

"Ahh!" Ava growls from the passenger seat, fighting with her hair as the dark strands whip around her. "Why didn't we take Caleb's truck?"

"Can you say tight squeeze?" I tease from my seat in the back next to Caleb.

Ava wiggles her eyebrows. "You don't have to tell me about tight squeezes."

"Ugh!" Marcel cringes behind the wheel.

"You guys act like I'm repulsive!"

Caleb leans up and pats her shoulder. "Of course not, A. You're beautiful."

A's cheeks turn a deep shade of pink, tinting her bronze cheeks. The sight takes me by surprise. I don't think I've ever actually seen her blush before.

"You both are," Caleb adds, turning those emerald eyes on me and winking.

Ava makes a choking sound and turns back around in her seat, giving up on the fight with her flying hair.

When we get to the fairgrounds, we're all mesmerized by the lights from the rides and games. It's hard not to feel as excited as a kid, even if we do come here every year. The atmosphere is electrified by the people screaming and laughing. Delicious scents waft in the air from the different booths and music spills from randomly posted speakers. There's just nothing not to love here.