48)Love, Leverage, & Loose Ends

When the West County students first transferred to FHS the atmosphere was tense

When the West County students first transferred to FHS the atmosphere was tense. Everyone walked around with stiff spines and cautious glares, watching and waiting for something big to happen between the students of both schools, but nothing ever did. Over the last couple of months people got to know each other or at the very least, became comfortable and familiar with each other. There's been no 'them' versus 'us' mentality in a long time. All the initial worries were for nothing and shit felt normal again.

Until now, of course.

It's been three days since Jace and the guys showed up outside of school, and it's felt like week one all over again. Most of the student body heard their message loud and clear, 'Derek's guilty and we're coming for him. Choose a side,' and they have, for the most part.

The divide between Freecaster High's student body can not only be felt but seen. Groups stay to one side of the hall, the cafeteria has been split down the middle, and people who were hanging out just days ago have started to look at each other as the enemy. Thing is, it's not even a West County against FHS issue anymore. It's Guardian supporters against the followers of Derek and the social elite.

Luckily, despite the dirty looks and whispered insults, nothing major has happened. No fistfights and Derek's kept his distance, but there's still no word from the school board and we've gotten no confirmation that Derek told his mom the truth. So, with the edgy school environment and floating in limbo regarding what happens next, I'm more than ready to get out of here as the last bell rings for the week.

I skip my locker completely and rush toward the front doors knowing the others won't be long behind me. The second I step outside, I close my eyes and tilt my head back, soaking up the feel of the warm sunlight on my face as I fill my lungs with fresh air.

Just two more weeks.

I've officially started my countdown till winter break. Just two more weeks, two more Fridays, and we'll be free to enjoy the holidays with our families. But best of all, we'll be away from school, and the tension.

"Aye, sweetheart, you gonna stand there all day or bring that ass over here?"

Normally, I'd be pissed at whatever jerk said that kind of shit to me, but he's my jerk and I know he only means it in the best way. Opening my eyes and dropping my head, I see Jace, Wilder, Kade, and Travis parked by the curb, not the curb across the street but the one just a couple yards away, where the school parking lot begins. The school they're not supposed to step foot on.

"What are you doing here?"

"Came to pick up my girl." Jace bites back a smile but there's a mischief gleam in his dark blues as he leans against his bike.

I tried to read the other three for clues but I've got nothing. Kade and Travis hold expressions made of stone, no cracks revealing anything useful for me. Wilder is my best bet, but with his face in his phone and his back turned toward me, he's giving me nothing to work with.