32)Perfect Explosions

🔥🔥🔥This is a fire alarm chapter! Who's ready for something hot and heavy?😏😉😘

I'm a confused wreck by the time Jace ushers me inside. The guys follow close behind us until we reach the kitchen. Talking to some blonde guy, Josie spots us and takes one look at my crying face before flying into mother mode.

"Calm down, baby. It's gonna be alright," Jace repeats as he picks me up by the hips and sets me on the counter next to the sink.

Josie bomb-dives in to take a stand next to Jace. She rips off sheets of paper towels and dampens them before handing them over.

"What happened?" She worries her bottom lip and soothingly rubs my arm before glaring at Jace. "What did you do?"

Jace jerks back with surprise and throws his hands up in front of him. "I didn't do anything. Damn, Jo."

"N-Not, Jace," I manage to sputter while wiping my eyes. "A-Ava...Caleb."

Just saying their names forces another flood of tears to build up.

How could things go so wrong? Two of the most important people to me left with broken hearts, and it's my fault. I can't reciprocate Caleb's feelings. I can't force myself to feel something I don't. And as an indirect result of that, I've caused Ava's pain too. Holding Caleb's attention from her, even unintentionally, is on me.

It's dumb logic and I know it but that doesn't stop the demons in my mind from pointing all the blame on me.

Josie turns a questioning look on Jace, clearly getting the picture that words are not my strong suit right now.

Jace sighs, his eyes reflecting a small glimpse of the pain I feel inside, though I'm sure it's for different reasons. "We caught Ava and Caleb together and shit got messy. Ava want's Caleb, Caleb wants Lexi." A tick forms in his jaw with that last statement but he visibly banishes the anger brewing in his veins.

"Oh." Jo's mouth forms the O-shape and her eyes grow as big as saucers. "And...?"

She looks at me and I know instantly what she's asking.

Drawing In a deep breath, I attempt to steady the sobs building in my chest. "I-I don't feel the s-same."

Saying it out loud, again, is both freeing and painful.

The smallest glimpse of approval flashes in Josie's eyes before it disappears and she's back to being the worried hen. "So...they left?"

"Yeah." I nod until I'm hit with a sudden realization. "Oh my god! They've been drinking. They shouldn't be driving."

I push at Jace's chest so I can jump down but he doesn't budge.

"And what are you gonna do? Chase them down?" Jace captures my face between his hands. "Baby, you've been drinking too. We all have."