21) Heart-Stopping Offers

Leaving Jace to get dressed, finally convincing him to put on the spare shirt I offered last night, I head downstairs to look for Mom

Leaving Jace to get dressed, finally convincing him to put on the spare shirt I offered last night, I head downstairs to look for Mom. I'm fully prepared for another round of 'the talk', something she's done many times before like she's trying to drill it into my head. Though I have the sneaking suspicion this one's going to be worse. Way worse.

"Mom?"

She's not in the kitchen, all of last night's baking efforts left sitting on the counter untouched. Veering for the living room I hear her voice, softly speaking to someone.

"I'm so sorry...I'm about to talk to her now...Don't start beating yourself up, hon. We're in this together. Lex will understand...love you too."

I walk into the living room just as Mom's hanging up her phone and slipping it into her pocket. I didn't notice it when I first woke up but now, in the sunlight streaming through the windows, the dark prominent shadows under her eyes are more than obvious. When she left last night she looked so happy and dolled up to see Carl, but now, it's like she's worked a forty-eight-hour shift at the hospital with no sleep.

Sitting on the armchair, still oblivious to my entrance, Mom releases a sigh like she's caring the weight of the world on her shoulders.

This can't just be about finding Jace in my bed this morning. Something else is going on. Something that I'm expected to understand, apparently.

Before I can step forward and call to her, a large hand softly lands on the small of my back. Glancing over my shoulder, I find Jace watching my mom much like I was. His brows drawn together, lips pursed with concern. My heart flutters at seeing him worry for my mom like he truly cares.

As Jace looks down at me, he offers a small reassuring smile, before nodding towards the living room as if saying, "go ahead. I'm here."

Clearing my throat, I walk further into the room with Jace by my side. "Mom?"

Her head snaps towards us, her tired hazel eyes quickly assessing us before she nods to the couch. "Go ahead and have a seat."

We do as she asks, Jace keeping his hand on my back the entire time. Even as we sit down, he rubs calming circles through my shirt.

"Are you okay, Mom? You look exhausted."

"Thanks." She half-laughs, the sound falling flat as she runs her hand through her chestnut locks. "I am pretty tired. It's been a long night and I was not expecting to come home to..." her voice trails off as she waves her hand in our direction.

"Mom, I swear we didn't do anything. We were just sleeping. That's it."

"It's the truth, Ms. Cheryl," Jace backs me up, a slight cringe on his face. "I'm not proud to say this but, I got a little carried away at the party last night. I couldn't drive, so Lex brought me here to sleep it off."

Mom nods, her eyes cast down as she thinks over our words. When she finally lifts her head to look at us, she looks less upset and ten times more tired.