15)No Doubt In His Abilities

Walking into the living room, I find my mom and Carl hovering by the door, talking with Ms

Walking into the living room, I find my mom and Carl hovering by the door, talking with Ms. Amy. Looking around I notice that Jace's uncle is nowhere to be seen, neither are the guys.

"We need to do this again sometime," Ms. Amy says to my mom.

"Agreed." Mom nods. "Next time you guys can come over to our place, all of you."

Ms. Amy smiles. "That sounds like fun."

"Like old times." Mom returns the smile while opening the door, her eyes finding me. "You okay if I go back to Carl's tonight?"

"Yeah. I was thinking of hanging here for a little bit anyway." I look at Ms. Amy. "If that's okay."

Ms. Amy waves me off. "Of course. You're always welcomed here, Lexi."

"Alright. I'll see you later than, honey." Mom leaves Carl to hold the door as she rushes over to give me a tight hug, whispering, "be careful."

"You too. Don't forget protection," I whisper back teasingly.

She rolls her eyes at me before heading out the door with Carl, giving Ms. Amy one last wave. As soon as the door closes, Jace walks out of the kitchen. I tune into his movements, hyper aware of everything he does. It's from the weirdness in the kitchen but I can't seem to shake it.

Jace looks around with pinched brows. "Where'd everyone go?"

"Uncle Robby said he had to go handle some business," Ms. Amy answers, sharing a look that seems to say more.

Jace nods, rubbing the back of his neck. "And the guys?"

She shrugs. "You'd know better than me on that one, and as much as I'd love to spend time with the both of you," she flashes me a warm smile before looking back at Jace. "I got a text from Aunt Shannon. She needs me to come over. She's having a rough night."

"What'd she do? Get into a fight with the liquor cabinet again?" Jace grumbles, earning a stern look from his mom. He places both hands up in front of him. "Hey, I'm just happy Cass isn't there to deal with it."

"Me too," Ms. Amy blows out an exhausted sigh as she grabs her keys. "I'll be back later. You two stay out of trouble."

She shoots Jace a warning look before leaving.

With the door clicking shut behind her, it hits me; we're gonna be alone. Just me and Jace. Alone. In his apartment.

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

This is exactly what I was scared of when I first got here, and now I'm willingly putting myself in this situation. What the hell was I thinking?

"Lex," Jace calls.

Slowly, I turn around to find him sitting comfortably on the couch, his long legs stretched out on the coffee table.

He pats the seat next to him. "Come on, Lexi. Let's watch a movie."