Chapter II: Lunch

Mister Jeon and I walk into his classroom, and I feel quite awkward. I've never met a teacher this nice, who offers me to eat lunch with them, and who takes time out of their day to ask how my day is going. My last school always said they were preparing me for college which would be much more harsh and cruel, but it really isn't. In fact, I prefer the university over any High School right now. 

Mister Jeon sets his box of food down on his desk, taking a seat in his chair. I awkwardly stand there, not knowing if I should go sit at a desk or just stand. I feel very stupid right now. "Miss Jung, you can pull up a chair, I won't bite," he says jokingly.

"Are you sure you want me to eat lunch with you? I really don't want to bother you, sir," I ask him once again, feeling unsure that he feels forced to do this. I'm very unsure of myself, scared that he's only being nice...I don't want to make him uncomfortable in any sort of way, especially on my first day here. He chuckles, "Y/n, I wouldn't have invited you if I didn't want to. Come sit next to me."

I smile at him, and drag a chair over to his desk, to which I sit down next to him. I glance at my not-so-edible food, and slightly cringe. But I'm so hungry. I take the lid off, using my fork to poke at the meat like object that's very tough. I wanted to gag. There's also some sort of liquid on top of it, perhaps gravy? I can't even tell at this point really. It's just making me feel sick to look at it...that's the nicest way I can put it. "What is that?" My teacher asks.

"I'm not exactly sure, but I think it tastes better than how it looks," I say giggling, but vomiting in the inside. I'm not looking forward to this meal. I really should have packed Ramyeon again...I'd rather eat it again and risk gaining some weight versus this. If I can even eat this. Mister Jeon laughs. "Miss Jung, you don't have to eat that," he says, making me arch an eyebrow.

"Why wouldn't I?" I ask my laughing teacher. He continues to laugh as he grabs my little box of 'food', and chucks it in his trash can. I gasp as he did so. He suddenly scoots his bowl over to me, nudging me to eat some. I look at him with a loss of words. "Mister Jeon...I really shouldn't, it's your food and—,"

"And, you couldn't possibly eat whatever that was. And what kind of teacher would I be if I let my student go hungry, huh?" He looks at me. "The university isn't widely known for having the best food, really...there's no way I would let you eat it if it did not look appetizing..."

I want to speak, but no words come out. "Sir, really, I shouldn't..."

"It's alright, Y/n, I pack a little extra lunch each day just in case I get hungry. Please eat..." he smiles softly at me, pushing my fork back into my hand. After more terms of negotiation and trying to persuade me to take his food, I finally give in, sending him a small smile before turning back to his yummy looking dish that sits in front of me. Now this is what my stomach wanted. "Thank you, Mister Jeon." I take a bite of the mouthwatering food, my eyes nearly rolling back into my head at the delightful taste of it. I hurry to swallow the food so I'm not talking while eating. "Do you cook? This is amazing," I say, shoving another bite into my mouth.

He chuckles. "It's a hobby I've picked up on."

"A hobby? Sir, even my mother couldn't cook this good." Mister Jeon smiles at me, before looking back down at his papers he's grading. He scribbles a few things after studying one page, then flips to another, his vibrant red pen contrasting to the black ink on the white page. I still cannot get over how delicious he made this dish. What did he put in this, for real? I want to try to make this...and eventually fail miserably at it. I probably couldn't even attempt to attempt it. It's very flavorful, while not being too overpowering to make the dish taste like it's too much. He seems very excelled in it.

"Miss Jung, how long have you been interested in Biology?" He suddenly asks me. I look up, seeing him look back at me with a small smile. Thinking for a moment, I try to chew and swallow without looking awkward, and gather my words and not stutter or mess up with his peering gaze on me. "My Father actually started my interest in Science. Although he was more into Chemistry than Biology. I guess it always fascinated me since Middle School," I answer my teacher.