11 - P A R A L Y S I S

Paralysis

When you're body is unable to move.

When you no longer have control over your body. 

That's how Nathaniel feels at this very moment.

Stuck in a little ball of depression, paralysed at the sight of his almost lifeless daughter, lying on a hospital bed. On one hand, he's ecstatic, over the moon, happy for once in his life, because now he knows she's safe, but is it worth it? On the other hand, guilt, sadness, anger, hatred towards himself for allowing his little girl to be tortured for so long, and for it to happen right under his nose. 

Robinson.

They should've known it would be the scummy b*stard. His suspicious behaviour over the course of the past 10 years should've made it as clear as day that it was him who captured Noelle. But the Highlands were too oblivious to see it. They were too nice, giving him too many chances, giving him the upper hand, but not anymore. 

Her fox, such a beautiful auburn shade. It looks as though the evening sun had been brought down to earth and placed over her skin. Even with all the scars and bruises she looks flawless. They could only imagine the pain she must have been feeling. They could only imagine what it would be like to be held captive for over 10 years, abused, hurt, belittled, thrown around like a rag, shamed. They could only imagine what kind of torture she went through, but Nate knows he won't allow her to go through it again. 

Flashback:

"Papa! Where are you?", Nathaniel heard his 7 year old daughter yell. 

"In here!", he answered from the kitchen, where he had gone to grab a cup of water. He heard her little footsteps, indicating that she was close by. 

"Finally, I found you! The boys were going on about vampires, and they said that everyone here is a vampire, does that mean I'm a vampire too?!", she asked with an abundance of enthusiasm. Nate mentally cursed at the boys for mentioning their species to her, when she's clearly too young to understand it. 

"Well, you see-", 

"Wait! I don't want to be a vampire! They're scary, and have like, really sharp teeth. What if I bite my tongue on accident, and my fangs make a hole in my tongue", she gasped at the thought. "-And, they can't go in the sunlight, and I love the sunlight, oh papa, please, I really don't want to be a vampire. How can we reverse the spell-."

"Noelle", he stopped her from continuing. She paused, taking a deep breathe, and staring up at her father.

"You aren't a vampire, little one", he reassures her and she sighs in relief. 

"You are something way more special", he proceeds and she looks up at curiously. He picks up her petite frame and places her on one of the kitchen stools, so she wouldn't have to crane her head upwards anymore. 

"You're a fox", he states, earning a confused look from her. 

"How do you know?", she asked. 

"We found out when you were about 5. Count Dracula, the most powerful vampire that ever existed had come to visit, since he grew up in this kingdom. It was the first time he saw you, and he instantly knew that there was something special about you. One thing about Count Dracula, is that he can predict the future, that's one of his super powers, we all have superpowers. He told us that you were a fox, and a very powerful one at that", he explains as she stares at him in awe.