1. new beginnings

"Come on y/n! We already saw you, just come out!"
An aggravated sigh leaves your lips as you emerge from behind the closed door. The cool breeze against your soft skin made you shiver. It never usually felt this cold outside, but then again it wasn't every day that you were walking down the street half naked.

A MONTH AGO

You had been late to work for the third time this week. You felt under the weather, and had no idea how to bring it up to Hotch. You quietly rushed to your desk and placed your bag by your feet, feeling eyes from your desk mate across you. You glanced up to meet Spencer's judgmental eye, and scowled back at him. Spencer giggled to himself and returned to his work, a smile having grown upon his face. You bit your lip as you caught a glimpse of his toothy grin and eventually began working yourself.

It had been just under a year since you had transferred to this unit, but you were beginning to feel at home. The team made you tag along to every night out, every team dinner, the whole shebang. You didn't mind, after all it was great to bond with your coworkers. One team member in particular... He caught your eye. Spencer Reid was the first of the bunch to reach out to you and set up plans after work. You had gotten coffee with him and talked about the most random things in the world. It was surprisingly entertaining.

You were brought out of your thoughts by Spencer clearing his throat. His eyes pointed an imaginary arrow to your phone, and you picked it up cautiously. He rolled his eyes at your idea of a joke and looked back at his phone screen, awaiting your reply. You unlocked your phone and read the text message:

Spencer Reid: Are you ill?

Your lips parted a little and you sucked in a breath with surprise.

Y/n: How'd you know?

Spencer silently shook his head and replied.

Spencer Reid: First of all... I'm a profiler, so I can easily notice a person exhibiting the symptoms of a sickness. Second of all, I am your friend.

You smiled sardonically and he chuckled.

Y/n: Fine, maybe I am sick. I blame the cold.

Spencer Reid: Its 69 degrees Fahrenheit outside, y/n.

Y/n: Okay, okay, just please don't tell anyone. Hotch will send me home, and I'm already behind work as it is.

Spencer: I don't think I will even have the chance to tell a soul, with all of your sniffling and throat-clearing.

"Dr. Reid, Agent y/l/n, busy at work are we?" You looked up to meet the eyes of a rather pissed off Hotch, standing behind Spencer. You slid your phone screen down onto your desk and nervously tucked a strand of hair behind your ear.

"Yes,-" You were quickly interrupted by Spencer.

"We were actually silently discussing the fact that no matter how fast light may travel, darkness is always faster, and is in fact waiting for the light to catch up. Isn't that interesting Hotch?" The both of you looked up to see Hotch blink a couple of times and nod, before walking back to his office quietly.

"Nice one, pretty boy. I personally would've liked to have been filled in with what you were chatting up y/n about, but maybe another time." Morgan chirped from his desk not so far away. Spencer rubbed the back of his neck and turned to Morgan, scowling at him before turning back to his work.

You had been working for another four hours typing up reports and proofreading previous ones before you began to feel lightheaded. It was luckily your lunch break, so you made a beeline to Garcia's office. You prayed that the door was unlocked and cheered as you opened the door and shut it behind you, resting against it.