23. just go with it

"..But I will do whatever I would like with you, whenever I want."

Your lips parted at his words, and he squeezed your hand with his.

"..Is that a promise, Dr. Reid?" You asked, silently hoping.

It was.

You two arrived at the hotel's steak house just as the clock struck 7:30 pm. The restaurant was a mix between dressy and casual, so you felt only a tiny bit overdressed. Spencer had worn very complementary dress pants and a loose dark dress shirt, with a few buttons undone at the top.

He had finally listened to your styling suggestions. You smiled to yourself as you remembered the first time you brought it up to him.

It had been seven months after you had joined the team. Hotch was making you and Spencer dress up to blend in at a large frat party and find out information about a student that was possibly the unsub.

Spencer adjusted his tight collar in the mirror and scrunched his nose up. "Y/n, does this look okay?" He looked like a lost puppy, wearing an outfit that didn't consist of a sweater vest.

You turned to him, raising your eyebrows. "Very.. Tight. Come, I'll fix it." You waved him towards you.

You had resorted to your college brain and put on a tight skimpy dress for this party.

You had picked out a slightly oversized flannel along with a pair of khaki work pants for Spencer. You suggested to him that he should wear his converse, which he rarely wore until recently.

You reached up to the buttons on the flannel and unbuttoned a few of them, his defined collarbones now visible. You hadn't noticed how toned his chest was.

"That's a lot of chest showing.. Are you sure this looks better?" He sounded a little nervous.

You chuckled and ran your fingers through his hair, fluffing it up a bit. "You look.. Really good, Spence. Trust me."

Your words brought a shy smile to his lips, and he stared back into the mirror at the both of your reflections for a moment.

You took your hands off from his shoulder, and grabbed your phone off of your bathroom counter."Ready?"

"Ready?" Spencer's voice brought you back into the present. You blinked a few times and nodded.

"Yeah, sorry. Do you know which table we're at?" You observed Spencer pulling out his phone to check his texts with Derek.

"Uh.. Table 8. Something about being outside. I have a feeling he's already started drinking, because we definitely haven't invited any dolphins to join us for dinner."

You thought about asking what Derek meant, but knew Spencer had no idea either.

You found table eight on the outside deck, which was built so guests could overlook the beach beneath you.

Derek twisted in his seat and grinned widely as he saw you and Spencer approaching the table.

"Good evening, gorgeous."

Spencer raised his eyebrows slightly, so Morgan added onto his sentence.

"..And boy genius."

"Alright alright settle down, boys. I'm starving. Let's order." Rossi scolded, straightening out his menu.

You all took your seats, and picked out your preferred meals.

"Wait.. So Derek- what did you mean by dolphins at dinner?" You leaned an elbow on the table so you could see him. He didn't respond, and took another sip of his drink.