16. last breath

"Y/n!"

You didn't respond. You tried to pry your eyes open as warm bodies knelt beside you, but failed.

"Spencer! Don't touch her, she's injured. Medic! We need a medic!" Dereck called out.

All of the sounds were muddled to you, but you knew you were finally safe.

Spencer was dragged away from you by Derek, giving the paramedics space to lift you onto a body splint board. They wrapped a blanket around you and tucked it under the straps before lifting your body off of the ground and rushing you up the basement stairs.

They placed you on the stretcher outside of the basement steps and wheeled you to the ambulance quickly. Just as the paramedics were closing the ambulance doors, Spencer caught up and climbed inside to sit next to you.

"This is all my fault.." Spencer muttered, staring down at your thawing body.

You had started to feel pins and needles in your body again, which meant you were slowly warming up. Paul must've left you in the freezer for hours.

The ambulance began to move, and you winced in pain.

The EMT untucked the blanket to put an IV in your arm and hooked you up to the heart monitor as well. It was cool in the ambulance due to the air conditioning, but you couldn't voice your discomfort. Any sound that you had tried to make wasn't coming out of your mouth.

You continued to take strained breaths, quickly becoming upset over the amount of pain and fear you were in. Your heart rate skyrocketed, which caused Spencer to lean forward.

"Y/n? Don't worry. We're almost there. Please stay with me."

You tried to focus on his voice in order to stay awake, but whatever Paul gave you to pass out was messing with your body. You felt your eyes roll back into your head as you suddenly began to seize, causing the EMT next to you to reach across your body and hold you down.

Spencer helped them hold you down, trying his best to avoid your injuries as he did so. His heart pounded at the sight of you in so much pain.

Luckily the seizure only lasted for 10 seconds, and you were back to laying still. You had reopened your eyes like nothing had just happened, your pupils reacting to the small flashlight that the EMT flashed at you.

"We're here y/n. Just hold on a little longer." Spencer removed his hand from yours, and got out as they were extending your stretcher out of the ambulance.

They wheeled you into the emergency room and unloaded you onto a hospital bed in a private room. You heard faint voices as a nurse refused to let Spencer in the room with you.

"Please! I just want to be there if something happens.."

"Sir, you're going to have to wait in the hallway. We can't work on her while you're by her side."

Spencer gave up trying and sat in a chair in the hallway.

First, you were stabilized, and put under anesthesia. You had to go into surgery as soon as possible to get your ribs fixed, as well as for a few of your toes. Paul had shattered some of your bones in order to recreate the exact shape of Lilith's small dainty feet. Your ribs were broken in order for your waist to mimic the shape of Lilith's body, which was petite and slim. You were fit, but apparently not thin enough for Paul's liking.

The shallow number on your face hadn't been fully carved in yet, so you only had a small line shaped cut on your face.

You were in the operating room for five hours, which was surprisingly quick considering the amount of damage your body took.