39. work the case

"He started by splitting the seams on one of my favorite dresses."

Penelope's mouth gaped open. "Woah.. Has he been lifting recently? He's looking less pipe cleaner-y."

"Yeah, lifting me on his lap. Tossing me into bed.." You both giggled a little, and then you continued. "He's been doing a little bit of work on his body. Mostly to stay agile in the field. He runs sometimes and goes to the gym every so often. Just keeping everything in check."

Penny audibly sighed. "I wish I had a sweaty man that came home to me every day."

You raised your brows. Wasn't she with Morgan? Or was that too scandalous for her?

"Aren't you with Der-"

You were cut off by Derek opening her office door. "Hey ladies.. When you're done gossiping here.. It would be lovely for the two of you to join the team in the conference room." He threw a wink at Penelope after he spoke, which made your eyes widen. You nonchalantly looked over at Penny, who had turned a light pink shade.

"Y-yes. Yep. Yeah." She managed to get out 'yes' in three different ways before Derek chuckled and softly closed her office door.

After watching the door slowly close and click against the frame, you turned to her.

"Y-yes.. Yep. Yeah." You mocked, mimicking her hot and bothered behavior. You could only manage teasing her for a few seconds before bursting into a fit of laughter.

She rolled your eyes smiling in embarrassment. "I'm gonna kick you out."

You continued to laugh, keeling over in your chair. "Oh god.. I'm too good." Penelope stood from her chair and grabbed her things, waving you along to leave the office.

"Ok miss comedian.. Work time.." Penelope spoke in a musical tone, prancing out of her office. You eventually followed after her, stopping at yours and Spencer's desks. He was tidying up some loose papers and putting them into the drawers on the bottom left side of his desk.

"Hey doctor, you almost done?" You pressed your palms against the surface of your desk, your upbeat mood instantly radiating onto him. He placed the paper in his hand down, and tilted his head to look up at you.

A wide grin graced his lips.

So handsome.

"I'm just putting some papers from the past week away. Wait for me?"

The edges of your mouth lifted in a small smile. "Always."

Spencer finished sorting his extensive and detailed notes into his file-cabinet styled drawer, and then grabbed a notebook off of the now neat and empty top of his desk.

"All done, pretty boy?" You mused, picking out your own writing utensil and notebook from your bag.

His nose twitched as he let out a soft laugh. "Yes. Let's go."

You walked beside Spencer to the conference room, and took a seat at the table between him and Derek.

"JJ, could you begin? Hotch will be running late today. Jack has the flu, so they were both up all night. Now, he's trying to find a sitter." Rossi gestured down to the thin case folder in front of her, and she nodded, taking a few seconds to skim through the material.

"Alright team. Flip those tablets over, the pictures are already uploaded. Richmond police have sent us file reports on these young adult women. We have.. Adeline Whetford, 23. Felicity Rowland, 24. Whitney Dedlam, 23. Lastly, Georgia Freehall, 22. All of them were found by either a family member or concerned friend. Bludgeoned, with a tasteful portrait beside their body."