Holding On To You

It was the middle of the night. All was peaceful and quiet. Just the way Evie liked it. But for some reason, Evie just couldn't seem to fall asleep. She kept tossing and turning, trying to get comfortable but it wasn't working. And every time she closed her eyes, they would open again, and it was starting to annoy Evie.

When she turned on her right side for the hundredth time that night, she heard a faint, almost silent whimper come from Mal's side of the dorm. It was so faint, Evie almost thought she was just hearing things. But then again, Mal sometimes made noises in her sleep. She waited to see if she would hear the noise again. She waited a couple of seconds before she heard the noise again, only this time it was louder.

She heard Mal's covers moving so Evie sat up to see Mal kicking her legs, and moving her arms wildly while mumbling something that she couldn't understand. Evie wasted no time in pushing off her own covers and walking over to Mal's bed. She pushed away the blanket that was getting tangled around her legs and tried to wake her up.

"Mal. Mal, honey wake up. It's just a dream, wake up." She softly said.

But Mal still wasn't waking up. So Evie continued to try and wake her up. And it was then that Mal's mumbling turned into shouting.

"No! No, stop! Please, I won't do it again!" She yelled. And not two seconds later, she shot up, drenched in her sweat, and breathing heavily.

Evie scooted closer to Mal and wrapped her arms around her and pulled her closer to her. "Ssh, ssh. Mal, sweetheart. It's ok, I'm right here, I've got you." She whispered in her ear.

Once Mal realized that she was in Evie's arms, she relaxed and turned around so she could hug Evie. Evie just held onto Mal, not letting go. When Mal finally calmed down, she just looked up into Evie's brown eyes. "I'm sorry I woke you up." She said practically in a whisper almost as if she was afraid to speak any louder.

Evie shook her head as she held onto Mal and gently rocked back and forth. "No, you didn't. I was already awake. Are you ok?" She asked carefully not wanting to push Mal into talking about something she didn't want to.

Mal slowly nodded her head. "Yeah. It's just, it all felt so real."

"Do you want to talk about it? It might help."

"Yeah, it might." Mal agreed.

"Take your time."

Mal took in a couple breaths before she spoke. "I was back on the isle. And my mom had found me, I tried to run away, but then her minions ran out in front of me, and they put me in some sort of bag and then they took me to my mom's old castle. When I was taken out of the bag, my mom started to hit me and yell at me for choosing good over evil and then she locked me in the closet. And I was trying to get out. But she wouldn't let me. And then I woke up." Mal explained to her.

Evie just listened to Mal as she felt horrible for her. "It's ok, you're safe. Your mom, she can't hurt you anymore. See?" She pointed over at the glass container on the other side of the dorm that held Maleficent in her lizard form inside. "And you know I would never let anything bad happen to you, right?" She asked.

Mal nodded as she hugged Evie even tighter. "You're right. You truly are my best friend. I love you, E."

"Aw, I love you too, M. And just remember, I'll always be there for you when you need me, no matter what." Evie told her.

Mal nodded once again, and smiled when she felt Evie kiss the top of her head. Evie loved that girl as if she were her own sister, and she knew that Mal felt the same way. They had been there for each other since the day Mal had saved her from the curse from Maleficent's sceptre.

Evie soon noticed that Mal had fallen asleep against her, so she gently laid her against her pillows and kissed her forehead before she went over to her own bed. But she was stopped when she felt a hand grab her by the wrist. She turned around to see Mal sitting up.

"Stay with me?" She asked.

Evie smiled. She knew she couldn't say no to that face. "Of course." She replied as she laid down next to her.

Mal snuggled up against Evie, who wrapped her arms around her, bringing her closer to her, and she fell asleep once more. Evie knew from that moment that Mal had her wrapped around her finger. And she wouldn't have it any other way.

A/N: I hope you all enjoyed this short one shot. Shout out to SimWoman2002 for suggesting this idea to me, I hope it was at least close to what you were picturing. And let me know if you all would want me to write something like this again, I love writing Mal and Evie as best friends. Let me know what you thought of this. I'll see you all in my next book!!!