Breakfast

The sunlight streamed in through Florence's still open window. It happened to land so conveniently on Florence's face. She blinked her eyes opened, quickly shutting them, trying to block out the sunlight. Florence sat up, hanging her legs over the side, her feet barely touching the floor.

Marching over to the window, she yanked the drapes closed, and flung herself back onto her bed. Something loomed in the back of her mind, but she couldn't figure out what was bugging her. Not until she heard Clair's gorgeous voice slip under her door and reach her ears.

"I'm sure Florence will wake up soon enough." Florence heard him say.

She could taste the smile in his words, she barely grinned. Rushing out of bed, trying to push away the thoughts of last night, she flew to her wardrobe. Flinging the wooden doors open, she dressed herself without Mintie's help. Fashioning her hair into a quick braid, she draped it over her shoulder. She examined her figure.

A light yellow dress. So light it be considered a creamy white, it was thin and light. Florence adored this dress, it didn't feel constrictive, but free. It made her feel like a princess, or a maiden perhaps. It had a drawstring lace up top, which covered her bosom. She slipped into her shoes, grabbed the briefcase and strode out of her room.

Upon entering the library, she found Clair, sitting primly in a chair next to her father. Cathryn, running her hands along the shelves of books. Aurora was playing with Rose, softly chattering to herself. Jacob sat on the rug, playing with the feet of the small table.

"Jacob, please." Harriet scolded him.

Florence's entrance raised several different looks among everyone. Clair gave her his now usual amused look, as if he saw something in herself she didn't. Cathryn gave her a tiny smile, Florence barely wincing at the sight of her, last nights events resurfacing. Her father gave her a blank stare, and her mother a slightly disapproving smile.

Clair beckoned her over to the chair next to him, and she could feel the heat of Cathryn's eyes on her back. She obeyed and walked over to him, whether out of ladylike politeness, or true desire, she didn't know. She sat down, hands on her knees, and looked at Clair with expectant eyes.

He laughed quietly at her, which made her lips perk into a smile. She was staring at him almost with childlike adoration.

"Have you read any more of my drafts?" He asked her.

Her face contorted into an unreadable mask. Her eyebrows scrunched up, remembering the previous night. How Clair and Cathryn had interrupted her.

"No." Florence lied.

"Oh." Clair muttered quite dismissively, turning to not face her.

Mildred entered the library, followed by Clarence, both of them balancing platters on their forearms. Mildred's apron was desperately in need of a wash, she was sure her mother would notice that and order Mintie to get it washed up.

They both silently strode over and sat the platters onto the small table, and exited wordlessly. Aurora clapped her hands in delight upon seeing the bowl of steaming porridge. It had always been one of her favorites. She skipped over, and mother quickly spooned out a bowl for her.

Cathryn came over from her spot buried in the bookshelves. Florence noticed, as Cathryn walked by Clair, she barely rested her hand on top of his for a moment. It almost was like reassurance. Reassuring him that she was still here. Just a small affirmation, as his hand rested on the armchair. His head jerked up to her instantly, and she gave him a gentle smile.

Florence arose and fixed herself some breakfast, the plate consisted of eggs, porridge, and fruit. Along with a cup of tea. She passed Clair on her way back to her seat, his eyes grazing over her body. Just enough to make her shiver.

They had all been eating fairly quietly until Harriet spoke up. "I ought to have Mintie launder Clarence and Mildred's clothes." She remarked.

Florence smiled as she had predicted this. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Clair's head perk up at the mention of launder. Florence furrowed her brow in confusion. Harriet cocked her head to the side, looking at Clair in equal confusion. He shook his head with a laugh, his hair swinging from side to side.

"Sorry, my name is Clairence."

"My full name." He added politely.

"Spelled with an 'I'?" Florence spoke up inquisitively.

"Yes, it's quite odd isn't it. I like it." Cathryn answered for him simply.

Clair turned to face her, a pleased look upon his face. Florence stared at her feet.

"Me too." Aurora chimed.

Florence stayed silent. Breakfast carried on nicely, Florence stealing glances at Clair whenever she could. Cathryn thanked her parents and hurried out of the library, clutching her dress, immediately after she finished, which struck Florence as odd. Her family usually stayed in library for awhile after eating, talking or reading and whatnot. She wondered why Cathryn was off in such a hurry.

Everyone had already left except Clair, Harriet, and Florence. Eventually her mother rose, looked at the two of them and announced she was going to go out for a tutoring session. Clair nodded towards her and Florence gave her a quick hug. Once Harriet had closed the door, Florence turned to face Clair, whipping out the briefcase. He gave her a lopsided grin.

"May I see it?" He asked.

Florence shoved the case into his lap. After rummaging around in it for a bit, he pulled out a certain page. It was more crinkled than the rest, suggesting it had gotten it's fair share of love. He extended his arm toward her, and she gratefully took the paper and began reading.