Buttered Toddy

"Oh wonderful, you've hidden together. I'm not surprised really." Cathryn blurted out from above them.

Ruby and Florence look up at the same time to find a goofy grinning Cathryn above. The patter of Clair's footsteps could be heard catching up from behind Cathryn. Florence rose to her feet and shot Ruby an accusing glare.

"He wouldn't leave my spot!" She announced.

"Your spot?" His eyes flew wide.

"I was there first!" He persisted.

Florence only rolled her eyes at him. Clair had a funny look on his face, Florence guiltily avoided it. She thought back to Clair kissing her in the bookshop, then almost again at the pool.

"Clairence what time is it?" Florence noticed the slight slur to Cathryn's words.

Clair stumbled for his pocket watch, caught off guard that she had used his full name.

"10:32." Ruby answered for him.

Florence hadn't even seen him check the time.

"Very well then. I say we abandon this silly game and head back to the bar." Cathryn propose happily.

Ruby placed a steadying hand on her shoulder. "I think you've had enough for one night."

Cathryn jerked away from his touch. "I haven't."

She spun around instantly and flounced back down the street leaving the three alone as she so often did. Florence raised a questioning eyebrows towards both boys. Clair opened his mouth as if to protest, but eventually just swept his hand wide as if to say after you. So Florence started off back towards Devil's Tavern with the boys at her side.

"Perhaps you can try a different drink. Not as strong." Ruby muttered.

"You bought her a drink?" Clair asked curiously.

"Gin and tonic." Ruby answered.

"I take it you weren't too fond of it?" asked Clair with a smile.

"Not at all, I don't see how Ruby can enjoy it."

"You see, I have that French palette." He announced cockily.

"Sure, call it that." She shot back playfully.

"Perhaps a buttered toddy would suit you better." Clair suggested.

"Oh, I've heard about those ones. Much sweeter yes?" She asked neither of them in particular.

"Honey, nutmeg, lemon, you'll love it." Answered Clair.

"I'm buying, so you better." Ruby joked.

"Oh, you really don't have to Ruby. I'll be fine." Florence stumbled over her words stupidly.

"Chut chut, femme, laisse-moi acheter." Ruby declared.

"Hush hush, woman, let me buy."

Florence thought that woman was almost some sort of pet name he'd give her. She suppressed a smile and scolded herself for the stupid though. She stayed quiet as they three entered the lively bar once more.